In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Most of the population of two million people were not granted citizenship.
- The bill also makes it unnecessarily tough to grant citizenship to a resident who has a minor conviction.
- Citizenship of the Union shall complement and not replace national citizenship.
- At the end of their 25 years' service these auxiliaries were granted citizenship.
- Most of those countries would grant citizenship to anyone who could produce a grandparent who was a citizen.
- He is in no different position from anyone else who obtains citizenship by false means.
- The programme aims to help youngsters develop positive attitudes towards life and citizenship.
- It is the responsibility of the state to maintain the supremacy of citizenship.
- Dual citizenship is supported and recognised as acceptable in this country.
- Granted refugee status, he was able to seek citizenship in a European country.
- It was later discovered he had moved to Russia, where he had been granted citizenship.
- If this involves switching citizenship or obtaining dual nationality then so be it.
- While he's been granted citizenship, he says hundreds of others are living in limbo.
- The professor, who now has dual British and Australian citizenship, expects to take up his new role in October.
- He had been told that his long pending application for Indian citizenship had been granted.
- Instead he claimed refugee status in the UK and later gained British citizenship in 2001.
- After working outside Ireland for many years he now has dual Irish and Canadian citizenship.
- He still looks back with pride on the day he was granted his American citizenship.
- The actor, who is part Italian, was due to be granted honorary citizenship this week.
- He has dual British-New Zealand citizenship and was commissioned as an officer in 2000.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.