In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(authorities) civil(leader) de la ciudada civic event — un acto municipal oficial
- However packed it gets, this great civic expanse always retains its symbolic force.
- The town needed a new building that combined the civic role of a town hall with the cultural dimension of a small theatre.
- Fears that young members of the community are being forced to move away from the town have prompted civic leaders to investigate the issue.
- A market town's civic leaders have decided it is time one of its hidden garden treasures became less of a secret for tourists.
- Being linked to the advertising industry, it comes at virtually no cost to the civic administration.
- Representatives from every parish in the diocese, along with civic and business leaders, gathered in tribute.
- The biggest proposal however is for a completely new civic centre to be located somewhere in the estate.
- Such concerns pushed civic leaders toward municipal control of those networks.
- Business, community and civic leaders have a key role to play here.
- The situation sparked allegations of unfairness and excessive bureaucracy from the town's unemployed and civic leaders.
- Political control, mismanagement and corruption have ensured that civic bodies which provide water are bankrupt.
- Now business and civic leaders are wondering when they can expect a decision on the £53m scheme.
- They were not what people expected of a major civic building in their city or community.
- Administration of civic bodies should be handed over to the military for at least two years so that things can be speeded up.
- The third civic building is the Central Library, west of the City Hall.
- We also had civic buildings, including a courthouse.
- Perhaps a few people involved in civic administration might feel more important if we became a city but I oppose the idea.
- Could a new civic centre become a reality?
- Why has a city of 14 million allowed a civic administration of a few thousand to hold it to ransom?
- Among them were business leaders and civic dignitaries who helped raise £20,000.
- Materialistic values were far stronger among young people than civic virtues.
- Contribute to community building, foster civic engagement, create a sense of community.
- There was a time when we had a national, personal and civic pride.
- You should see that as your editorial responsibility as well as your civic duty in this time of national tragedy.
- The priority of the new administration was to be civic pride, something we wanted to restore in the borough, making people proud to be here.
- Great civic leaders of less evangelical eras than ours did not speak of visions.
- The aim of the competition is to recognise improvements made by local communities to create civic pride in their area.
- Instead, most scholars working on this topic have assumed that civic virtue must be promoted indirectly.
- The least satisfactory aspect concerned the civic virtue of locals.
- The relationship between military and civic virtue is also revealed as deeply ambiguous in these translations.
- Whether it a case of laziness or a lack of civic pride is unclear.
- It was designed to reeducate the local populace on law and order and civic duty.
- They must share an equal commitment to civic virtue in a democratic society.
- But, again, this just seems another public relations exercise when civic attitudes have not really changed.
- Findings also support claims that civic journalism complements traditional journalism.
- There is no older civic duty than public participation in the law.
- Colleges provided the opportunity and social support to develop the habit of civic engagement.
- What kinds of activities work best as training grounds for civic engagement and why?
- Some would contend that a sense of civic duty alone is enough to compel people to vote.
- We have to reclaim both areas as civic duty in our lives.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.