In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(authorities) civil(leader) de la ciudada civic event — un acto municipal oficial
- The third civic building is the Central Library, west of the City Hall.
- Fears that young members of the community are being forced to move away from the town have prompted civic leaders to investigate the issue.
- Political control, mismanagement and corruption have ensured that civic bodies which provide water are bankrupt.
- Representatives from every parish in the diocese, along with civic and business leaders, gathered in tribute.
- The biggest proposal however is for a completely new civic centre to be located somewhere in the estate.
- Among them were business leaders and civic dignitaries who helped raise £20,000.
- Being linked to the advertising industry, it comes at virtually no cost to the civic administration.
- The town needed a new building that combined the civic role of a town hall with the cultural dimension of a small theatre.
- The situation sparked allegations of unfairness and excessive bureaucracy from the town's unemployed and civic leaders.
- A market town's civic leaders have decided it is time one of its hidden garden treasures became less of a secret for tourists.
- Perhaps a few people involved in civic administration might feel more important if we became a city but I oppose the idea.
- Could a new civic centre become a reality?
- Now business and civic leaders are wondering when they can expect a decision on the £53m scheme.
- Administration of civic bodies should be handed over to the military for at least two years so that things can be speeded up.
- Business, community and civic leaders have a key role to play here.
- Such concerns pushed civic leaders toward municipal control of those networks.
- We also had civic buildings, including a courthouse.
- However packed it gets, this great civic expanse always retains its symbolic force.
- They were not what people expected of a major civic building in their city or community.
- Why has a city of 14 million allowed a civic administration of a few thousand to hold it to ransom?
- The relationship between military and civic virtue is also revealed as deeply ambiguous in these translations.
- The least satisfactory aspect concerned the civic virtue of locals.
- Instead, most scholars working on this topic have assumed that civic virtue must be promoted indirectly.
- What kinds of activities work best as training grounds for civic engagement and why?
- Whether it a case of laziness or a lack of civic pride is unclear.
- There is no older civic duty than public participation in the law.
- The aim of the competition is to recognise improvements made by local communities to create civic pride in their area.
- Colleges provided the opportunity and social support to develop the habit of civic engagement.
- But, again, this just seems another public relations exercise when civic attitudes have not really changed.
- We have to reclaim both areas as civic duty in our lives.
- It was designed to reeducate the local populace on law and order and civic duty.
- Materialistic values were far stronger among young people than civic virtues.
- Some would contend that a sense of civic duty alone is enough to compel people to vote.
- Great civic leaders of less evangelical eras than ours did not speak of visions.
- Contribute to community building, foster civic engagement, create a sense of community.
- You should see that as your editorial responsibility as well as your civic duty in this time of national tragedy.
- Findings also support claims that civic journalism complements traditional journalism.
- There was a time when we had a national, personal and civic pride.
- The priority of the new administration was to be civic pride, something we wanted to restore in the borough, making people proud to be here.
- They must share an equal commitment to civic virtue in a democratic society.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.