In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The state already has a statute banning recognition of same-sex marriages and civil unions.
- The report says the purpose of the bill is to establish civil unions for different and same sex couples.
- It is worth remembering that we didn't get civil unions by asking for civil unions.
- The judge who heard their petition decided that he could recognize their civil union.
- The law recognizes the civil union of gay couples but does not term the union a marriage.
- Marriage and civil unions simply make this consent explicit and concrete.
- A civil union and a marriage will be synonymous in law; there will be no difference.
- We should acknowledge that marriage, civil unions, and de facto relationships are different.
- The Federal Marriage Amendment would not block a state from recognizing civil unions.
- Given that lengthy list, I ask how anyone can possibly say that civil unions are not same-sex marriages.
- Heterosexual couples wishing to commit to each other will have two options: marriage or a civil union.
- Everyone who supported civil unions but not marriage is caught by your example.
- The civil union law is expressly designed to extend that same protection to same-sex couples.
- It lost the cause on the civil union legislation, but it stuck by the strategy.
- If that is the case, then there certainly aren't enough votes to pass civil unions legislation.
- Not being a church-goer, I don't see any advantage marriage has over a civil union.
- Support for civil unions and same-sex marriage has been steadily dropping in polls.
- They have happily cited the European countries that have provided for civil unions and for marriage.
- The status of civil unions outside of Vermont is very much an open question.
- To the extent that civil unions will duplicate marriage, then extending that privilege is clearly unnecessary.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.