In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1civil femininecivilians were not affected — la población civil no se vio afectada
- Most of the estimated 300 000 victims were civilians, according to the United Nations.
- Eight more police and two civilians died when their vehicles ran over mines.
- As a result, more than six hundred civilians would be killed.
- Now we too would go without uniforms, so as to mask our presence among the civilians.
- Forces on both sides frequently terrorized unarmed civilians suspected of sympathizing with the enemy.
- The awards are made to civilians and police officers who put their lives at risk to save others.
- People were brutally assaulted by police, and by civilians who acted in collusion to them.
- The purpose of military action must be to relieve or avert gross physical harm to non-combatant civilians.
- Locals claim the dead were civilians shot by snipers or caught in crossfire.
- Since then several arguments have broken out between soldiers and civilians in local pubs.
- Nine civilians who were in the vicinity of such operations were also killed.
- Under the Geneva Conventions it is a war crime to target deliberately innocent civilians.
- The war dragged on, costing the lives of many thousands of civilians and servicemen.
- Bombing civilians in retaliation is ineffective and counterproductive.
- He reported personally witnessing at least 20 cases where soldiers had beaten or robbed civilians at checkpoints.
- It is apparent that there was no intent to harm civilians with the first electro-optical guided bomb.
- The obligation to protect civilians accompanying the force falls mainly to the tactical commander.
- Later they collected two dead and seven wounded civilians, among them women and children.
- Her work included accompanying unarmed civilians being threatened by an armed group, serving as a protective presence.
- Authorities said at least 150,000 civilians fleeing the fighting needed emergency food and shelter.
1(casualties) entre la población civilin civilian dress — vestido de particular / de paisano
- And the 94 working as civilian staff comprise just 2.8 per cent of the workforce.
- The plane was the first civilian airliner to be hit by insurgents.
- Many of the paramilitaries are wearing civilian clothes and hiding amongst the population.
- The mother is in civilian clothes, but she might almost as well wear the habit.
- Most soldiers mix the uniform with civilian clothes because items are out of stock.
- The team ensured that civilian airliners and local mustering aircraft were kept out of the way of the fast jets.
- The hotels were hit with rocket fire, causing three civilian casualties.
- The arrest was a seizure by seven armed men dressed in civilian clothes who abducted him in an unlicensed car.
- Full details are not yet available and estimates vary as to the number of civilian casualties.
- They were allowed to carry guns in their civilian clothes when they're off duty.
- The man next to him was dressed in civilian clothes and carried a brown briefcase.
- Granting leave to wear civilian clothes would have pre-empted the hunger strikes.
- Counterfeit papers and civilian clothes were produced for use by escapees.
- Such actions will yield large civilian casualties, displaced populations, and refugee flows.
- Civilian contractors may work well enough in peacetime, critics say.
- I got back to the hotel and my room had been let and my civilian clothes had been lost.
- Besides torture and ill-treatment, civilian contractors are also accused of involvement in wrongful deaths.
- The conflict claims roughly four civilian lives for every soldier or alleged guerrilla killed.
- You don't attack civilian populations, destroy crops, poison wells and so on.
- We have an ethical duty to avoid civilian casualties wherever possible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.