In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1civilcivilians were not affected — la población civil no se vio afectada
1(casualties) entre la población civilin civilian dress — Military vestido de civil / de paisano
- Eight more police and two civilians died when their vehicles ran over mines.
- Authorities said at least 150,000 civilians fleeing the fighting needed emergency food and shelter.
- Her work included accompanying unarmed civilians being threatened by an armed group, serving as a protective presence.
- Locals claim the dead were civilians shot by snipers or caught in crossfire.
- Under the Geneva Conventions it is a war crime to target deliberately innocent civilians.
- People were brutally assaulted by police, and by civilians who acted in collusion to them.
- Since then several arguments have broken out between soldiers and civilians in local pubs.
- The obligation to protect civilians accompanying the force falls mainly to the tactical commander.
- Later they collected two dead and seven wounded civilians, among them women and children.
- The awards are made to civilians and police officers who put their lives at risk to save others.
- Now we too would go without uniforms, so as to mask our presence among the civilians.
- It is apparent that there was no intent to harm civilians with the first electro-optical guided bomb.
- As a result, more than six hundred civilians would be killed.
- Nine civilians who were in the vicinity of such operations were also killed.
- The war dragged on, costing the lives of many thousands of civilians and servicemen.
- He reported personally witnessing at least 20 cases where soldiers had beaten or robbed civilians at checkpoints.
- Most of the estimated 300 000 victims were civilians, according to the United Nations.
- The purpose of military action must be to relieve or avert gross physical harm to non-combatant civilians.
- Forces on both sides frequently terrorized unarmed civilians suspected of sympathizing with the enemy.
- Bombing civilians in retaliation is ineffective and counterproductive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.