In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(demand)wage / pay claim — reivindicación salarial
- claim for sth
- my claim for a disability allowance was rejected — rechazaron mi solicitud de una prestación por invalidez
- to put in a claim for expenses — presentar una solicitud de reembolso de gastos
- the company paid / met his claim for compensation in full — la compañía pagó la totalidad de la suma que reclamó como indemnización
- to file a claim — presentar una demanda
- she makes enormous claims on my time — me quita muchísimo tiempo
2(to right, title)derecho masculineclaim to sth — derecho a algo
- they have a legitimate claim to the territory — tienen legítimo derecho a reivindicar el territorio como propio
- I've no claim to expertise in that area — no pretendo ser experto en la materia
- that's her only claim to fame — eso es lo único por lo que se destaca
- to lay claim to sth — reivindicar algo
- research has a prior claim on available funds — la investigación tiene prioridad en la adjudicación de los fondos disponibles
- she has first claim on my affection — es la persona que más quiero
3(allegation)afirmación femininethat's a big claim to make — eso es mucho decir
- they ignored her claim that she was being followed — afirmó que la seguían pero no le hicieron caso
4(piece of land)concesión femininehe staked his claim to the party leadership — dejó claro que estaba en la contienda por el liderazgo del partido
1(assert title to)(inheritance/throne/land) reclamar(right) reivindicarto claim diplomatic immunity — alegar inmunidad diplomática
- they claimed the disputed territory as their own — reivindicaron como suyo el territorio en litigio
2(demand, take as one's own)(lost property) reclamarshe claimed her rightful place as the world champion — ocupó el lugar que le correspondía como campeona mundial
- the earthquake claimed many lives — el terremoto cobró muchas vidas
- (social security/benefits)
3solicitarcobrarhe's going to claim compensation — va a exigir que se lo indemnice
- she's not entitled to claim these allowances — no tiene derecho a (solicitar) estas prestaciones
- you can claim your expenses back — puedes pedir que te reembolsen los gastos
4(allege, profess)no one has claimed responsibility for the attack — nadie ha reivindicado el atentado
- no one can yet claim victory — nadie puede cantar victoria todavía
- I can't claim indifference — no puedo pretender que no me importa
- he claimed (that) he knew nothing about it — aseguraba / afirmaba no saber nada de ello
- he claims their dog bit him — dice haber sido mordido por su perro
- to claim to + inf
- they claim to have found the cure — dicen / aseguran haber encontrado la cura
- I can't claim to be an intellectual — no pretendo ser un intelectual
1presentar una reclamaciónto claim for sth — reclamar algo
- to claim on sth
- have you claimed for your hotel bill yet? — ¿has reclamado ya los gastos de hotel?
- you can claim on the insurance — puedes reclamar al seguro
- The claim that the visa regulations are being introduced is not true to fact.
- Their claim that the sector employs 91,000 people directly is a credible and much-needed revision.
- Objections include the claim that a house so close to the graveyard would intrude on burials and the privacy of people visiting graves.
- Parents of pupils at a York primary school have challenged the council claim that their children will receive an improved service if it closes.
- Objections are met with the claim that we need cotton for our clothes, when the truth is that almost all our cotton crop is exported.
- Do you think there is any substance, then, to his claim that his own warnings went ignored?
- Police never bothered to question his claim that he had used the apartment for drug activities.
- The claim that the protestors offer no alternative to globalization is as false as the other claims.
- Thus, the claim that the card offers some kind of advantage to consumers is dangerously close to lying.
- She questions my claim that people soon wake up to this and are not deceived by it.
- The claim that he couldn't act might have been true a couple of years ago but it most definitely is quite untrue and quite out-of-date now.
- His is a startling claim that is inconsistent with the repeated declarations of U.S. statesmen.
- Furthermore, the claim that the similarities were a result of photographic memory is a claim Kelly herself has never made.
- We should also be countering the claim that the monies teachers receive will lead to the impoverishment of city residents.
- He has ridiculed the claim that militants are responsible for the disappearances.
- The claim that professors at the leading law schools tilt to the left is supported by statistics.
- Albee disagrees with the frequent claim that audiences today are less tolerant of challenging drama.
- But critics say the claim that the 87,000 who've left are doing well rests on shaky evidence.
- The claim that this was an ‘extraordinary’ boom is belied by the Government's own figures.
- Professor Keep also challenges the claim that more than three-quarters of new jobs will be for graduates.
- The mining claims or other mining related interest may be affected by the action.
- The area no longer has any active mines, but there are large tracts of land under claim for placer mining.
- As a result Chinese were driven off gold mining claims by white miners who had no fear of being arrested.
- Mining claims were staked but were illegal because the territory belonged to the Indians.
- In Quebec, for example, mining claims are staked using maps on the Internet, a system Teed favors.
- JK explained about the ancient mining law allowing homes built on mining claims.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.