In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That's the difference between romanticism and classicism.
- Mies also was influenced by the pure classicism of ancient Greek architecture, as seen in his proposal for the Bismarck Monument of 1910, which includes a super-scaled colonnade.
- Architecture after about 1580 was inspired by medieval ideals of chivalry as much as by Renaissance classicism.
- Roman classicism had inspired Palladian architecture which was favoured by the Whig ascendancy in Britain.
- The range of his pictorial language remained broad, with a variety of classicism and naturalism from one large canvas to the next, and sometimes within individual works.
- Greek and Roman classicism had been an important part of that tradition.
- He was also influenced, though, by ancient Roman architecture and Scandinavian modern classicism.
- Art historians today emphasize his fundamental role in the complex cultural evolution of Renaissance ideals, successfully integrating Christianity and classicism in a perfect synthesis.
- There was no simple retreat from austere aristocratic classicism to bourgeois romanticism.
- This last consideration is too often forgotten in the tiresomely polarised debate about modernism and classicism which continues to rage.
- A period of classicism in the eighteenth century saw the development of political and social satire, comedy, and romanticism.
- This robust, indecorous, and accommodating vernacular tradition was not universally hostile to the spirit or methods of Renaissance classicism: it simply took from them what it wanted and adapted it to local practice.
- Projecting onto Homeric poetry the aesthetic principles of classicism, she wanted its perfection of form and content always to be emphasized.
- This involved a step from classicism towards romanticism - which was also a shift from civilisation towards barbarism.
- It is easy to appreciate the breadth of the works on display, as they cover artistic concepts ranging from classicism to abstraction, and record the influence of European as well as local movements.
- Roman classicism was the inspiration for this popular pattern.
- Principles typically associated with classicism include order, proportion, balance, harmony, decorum, avoidance of excess.
- In this fertile period he has embraced aspects of classicism, formalism, surrealism and most obviously, postmodernism.
- In spite of postmodernism's loosening of the modernist canon, the stigma against classicism remains robust.
- Increased consciousness of empire and respect for the clarity of French classicism had much to do with this change.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.