In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in forest)claro masculine
- I left the little clearing, walking mechanically back to the hostel.
- They were in a clearing in the middle of a seemingly endless forest.
- There, in a grassy, sunny clearing, sat an innocent little cottage.
- When we reached a beautiful clearing in the woods, I proposed to rest.
- Forest openings and clearings and agricultural areas are also good habitat for the Western Bluebird.
- They came upon a large clearing in the forest, where they faced an enormous rock face.
- At the end of at least twenty minutes of walking, we approach a clearing.
- The trees around us ended, and we found ourselves in a circular clearing.
- She led them to a small, grassy clearing in the middle of a wooded area.
- The three adventurers soon found themselves standing in the center of a circular clearing.
- The large clearing in the forest was almost right out of a fairy tale.
- He found a grassy clearing with ease, and began gathering a pile of dead wood from the ground.
- Now the underbrush was thickening, and suddenly I entered a small clearing surrounded by thick pine trees.
- A faint rustling from within the trees at the clearing's edge signalled that they had company.
- I was wandering one day, and I just happened upon that little clearing.
- They approached the clearing in the woods - each of them staring in awe.
- They entered a small clearing surrounded by oak trees.
- Coming to a clearing's edge, they caught sight of the poacher in the distance.
- The large clearing was surrounding by the woods, creating a horseshoe shape.
- They are common in forest clearings, wetlands, edges, residential areas, orchards, and stands of Russian olive.
(of checks)compensación feminine
1(in UK universities)proceso por el cual las universidades británicas rellenan las vacantes que tengan con los solicitantes que lleguen tarde o que no han obtenido las notas requeridas por su institución preferida
- We're now into the university clearing season.
- Universities you approach during clearing will ask for these.
- Students going through clearing should make themselves available because admissions tutors will want to talk to them rather than their parents.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.