In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)banco de compensación masculine
- It is one of the smaller clearing banks.
- The banking network in the UK is the result of years of evolution by the four main clearing banks.
- That has always been the situation with the universal banks of jurisdictions like Germany, but in England the clearing banks and merchant banks were for over a century institutionally separate.
- Much of the recommendations have been acted upon, and in the UK, the Financial Services Authority, Bank of England and clearing banks have all co-operated to raise standards of internal controls and compliance.
- The clearing banks make tens of millions of pounds every year from these delays.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.