In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He is one of the few clergy who knows everyone who lives in his parish.
- Buddhist monks, Church of England clergy and crematorium staff all came under the spotlight.
- The clergy existed to minister to the faithful, and had no other justification.
- Only the Church of England clergy have a constitutional right to sit in the Lords.
- He wondered what any of his teachers would do if he had done that to a member of the clergy.
- They will be processed in the ordinary way, first of all through the local clergy.
- Vested interests and the clergy of both the communities made matters worse, he says.
- The churches knew about the behaviour of some of their clergy and other workers.
- Lay readers and retired clergy have conducted services in the vicar's absence.
- Among the issues due to be discussed were the first set of guidelines for the conduct of Church of England clergy.
- He helped to draft a new catechism of the church to instruct parish clergy.
- Invariably, he would publicly upbraid those members of the clergy he deemed to be unconverted.
- This decline in the institution of the papacy made many members of the clergy impatient for reform.
- He faced tremendous ignorance among the clergy and hostility towards the Reformation.
- The colleges provide sheltered housing for clergy widows and retired clergy.
- Their wealth and close links with the clergy gives them enormous political power.
- Other groups such as the Gardai and the clergy have much shakier grounds for complaint.
- The mandate was eventually extended to teachers, social workers, and clergy in many states.
- Sweden was free of religious dissent and the clergy constituted a further arm of central government.
- The pope is the bishop of Rome and was once elected by the clergy and laity of the city.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.