In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(oaf) torpe(oaf) patoso Spain informal(boots) tosco
- In the Indian tradition, their form of dance could be tripping the light fantastic above ours, not clodhopping beneath.
- But I shook my head steadily from side to side and kept my toes curled tightly so that even if they used force they would never get those clodhopping shoes on me.
- A clodhopping version of Chase, the Moroder's theme from Midnight Express, only diminishes the enterprise.
- Not because they're a bunch of clodhopping yokels - well, not entirely - but because rabbits have the ability to destroy their precious island.
- It makes something like The Hours, or worse, Far from Heaven, look very clodhopping indeed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.