In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I had changed into a long-sleeved sweater and comfy, close-fitting jeans.
- A close-fitting garment, tightened by laces and reinforced with stays to shape the body from the hips to the breasts.
- Wear protective clothing such as close-fitting clothes, gloves, long pants, long-sleeved shirts and slip-resistant shoes.
- It was close-fitting across the bust with a deep square neckline, elbow length sleeves and a full skirt requiring the use of a crinoline.
- I wore my usual black pants with a close-fitting white tank top.
- They were all wearing balaclavas, dark close-fitting clothes and short bomber-style jackets.
- Her mother had conjured up a new outfit for her, an incredible pair of close-fitting jeans, a sweet pink tank top, and a white zip-up sweater.
- Never ride in cold weather with tight boots or shoes, nor close-fitting gloves.
- Tom was struck by the boy, with his close-fitting purple shirt, tucked in at the waist, tight black jeans and black trainers.
- He wore a close-fitting black coat that ended at the middle of his thighs, and his legs were covered in a dark material.
- It is a close-fitting red felt hat with a flattened top and a tassel worn to the side.
- The groom wore a close-fitting blue or red vest and a plumed hat.
- He was clothed in a robe with wide sleeves and a close-fitting neckline.
- These vary from region to region, but men often wear black, close-fitting trousers with a white shirt and sometimes a bright-colored sash or vest.
- From head to toe the rally driver oozes confidence, from her close-fitting orange-and-white driving suit to the tip of her black hair peeping out from under her headscarf.
- A swift pat secured the portfolio under my close-fitting jacket.
- Just be sure to top with a close-fitting tank to keep the look streamlined.
- The first face he saw was that of a man in a close-fitting business-type suit.
- Martina looks down at the close-fitting white satin gown, which shows off the tan skin of her bare arms and chest, and emphasizes the curves of her bosom and hips.
- She wore a light-colored, close-fitting dress with a lace bib-collar, a strand of pearls and a solemn expression.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.