In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They might be able to declare their fishing grounds to be a Marine Protected Area or designate a certain time of the year to be a closed season.
- After all, game fishing has a closed season to allow trout and salmon to get on with their reproductive cycle.
- The coarse angling reports will continue during the closed season for game fish, as anglers report any catches.
- Apart from some exceptions, the stag season runs for nine months of the year with a closed season in May, June and July, while open season for hinds is November through to February.
- One of the most immediate questions is whether we need a closed season for stags at all as there are no real welfare issues involved.
- Wilf explained that there are closed seasons for both salmon and brown trout.
- Because they don't breed in most English waters, they can be fished legally in winter, which is the closed season for native brown trout.
- The Deer Commission is on dangerous ground in calling for abolition of the closed season for stalking stags and extending the open season for shooting hinds.
- He predicted the extermination of most western game unless hunters observed closed seasons or bag limits.
- However, it was the closed season for swordfish and he therefore had to do this under cover of darkness in order not to be detected by the port police.
- It is also the only form of fox control that recognises a closed season, in which mothers and young are left alone.
- This form of hunting is the only form of fox control that recognises a closed season.
- In fisheries and wildlife commissions the purpose of these is to establish conservation methods, such as closed seasons or catch limitation practices.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.