In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ropa femininebefore noun clothing allowance — sobresueldo para gastos de ropa masculine
- clothing factory — fábrica de prendas de vestir
- the clothing industry — la industria de la confección
- The man involved was in his 30s with shoulder length dark hair, wearing a black woollen hat and baggy clothing.
- Like with any piece of clothing, you really need to try jeans on to see how they work.
- They must fast from midnight prior to arrival and are advised to bring warm and waterproof clothing.
- He was wearing prison issue clothing of a blue striped shirt and brown trousers.
- When the door to his office finally opens, he is indeed in casual clothing: a shirt and jogging shoes.
- Strong footwear, warm outdoor clothing and waterproofs are all essential.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and if possible bring a scarf for the hips.
- By definition, an overcoat is a heavy coat worn over ordinary clothing in cold weather.
- I have quite an eye for fashionable clothing and this garment caught my attention immediately.
- I find that a lot of professional clothing with a tailored look doesn't fit me well.
- The rest of her clothing - a shirt, jeans and underwear - was knotted around her neck.
- None of the rest of us had raincoats or particularly warm clothing.
- Participants are advised to wear warm comfortable rainproof clothing and suitable footwear.
- They want to be dressed in fashionable clothing, wear fancy shoes and drive cool cars.
- As a result, athletes have to wear heavy clothing to keep warm between events.
- When he returned he had removed his boots and outer clothing and was wearing just his shirt and hose.
- He wore a dark baseball cap and dark clothing, including a waterproof padded jacket.
- She wore the short skirts and skimpy clothing that people like that would wear.
- Students must ensure that each item of clothing, including underwear, be clearly labelled with their names.
- You will probably have to exchange traditional clothing for warm winter wear or you will freeze.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.