In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We found it quite quickly, a patch of grass with yellow gorse bushes dotted here and there around, blue vetch and clover, bright red Herb Robert.
- There are sprinklings of yellow and white from buttercups and clover, and dock weeds tower above the lot.
- The image is framed by a garland of wheat, clover, and flax flowers.
- They had planted some basil and clover, which would hopefully grow pretty fast.
- To attract these flies, plant some dill, parsley and sweet clover in your garden.
- They use compost and cover crops like crimson clover and mustard to replenish the soil.
- Legumes, like clover, are very efficient at breaking down rock phosphate into more available forms.
- The organic farmer relies on the use of crop rotations, animal manure, clover and low stocking rates.
- Creeping perennials, like clover or bracken, seem to move around in the environment.
- Much of the honey on sale in most countries is from clover and similar field crops.
- The plants sprouting now include grasses, clovers, dandelions, several types of thistle, mustards, and small composites.
- First the air filled with the smells of clover, wet grass, and honeysuckle.
- Cover crops included crimson clover, generally planted in the off-season to protect the soil.
- Jean's honey is mainly produced from the nectar of clover, alfalfa and fireweed.
- Cover crops containing clover and other legumes should also be monitored carefully as they might add excessive nitrogen to the vineyard soil.
- Leguminous plants such as clover evolved in parallel with legions of bacteria that live in their root nodules.
- A four-course rotation was adopted based on turnips, clover, barley, and wheat.
- He was pleased to find both yarrow and clover blossoms in the field.
- As for clover, why not leave this attractive plant and good luck charm alone?
- Butterflies and bogflies flutter above and around trefoils, daisies, clovers, sea-pinks and orchids.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.