In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a carbónde carbóncoal-fired power station — central eléctrica a / de carbón feminine
- We could argue that coal-fired power stations are ugly.
- At the moment only two of the nation's 1,100 coal-fired plants are fueled by gasification.
- New power plants will always have to conform to the province's environmental standards, but even the cleanest burning coal-fired plant is a polluter.
- It turns out they thrive in water warmed by coal-fired electric power plants.
- He drinks like a camel and smokes like a coal-fired power station.
- Today a wind energy plant costs about the same as a coal-fired thermal plant of the same capacity; it could even be cheaper at places with high wind speed.
- Coal inventories already are at historic lows, with coal-fired generation outpacing coal production.
- A key part of the plan is to build no new coal-fired power stations and to retire existing ones as they reach their use-by dates.
- Workers who had the technical know-how to make coal-fired burners have long since retired, so the company has had to dust off its old designs and marry them with the latest technology.
- The trains are hauled by a genuine coal-fired steam locomotive, so passengers can marvel at all the sights, sounds and smells of an old-time steam train.
- Pollution from mercury comes from industry such as coal-fired power plants, the burning of hazardous and medical waste and production of chlorine.
- Also, member states in Eastern and Central Europe are phasing out their coal-fired plants for environmental reasons.
- The kitchen, with its table and coal-fired range was the main family room.
- Not only is over three-quarters of our electricity supply coal-fired, but we are the largest exporter of black coal in the world.
- After a decade of breathing the poisonous effluent of a coal-fired power plant in a Beijing suburb, residents had finally had enough.
- But the energy industry welcomed them, saying they were essential for maintaining coal-fired power stations.
- What really makes it stand out though, along with the delicious food they serve, is the giant coal-fired brick oven in the dining area.
- Around the country, according to industry analysts, 68 new coal-fired power plants are in various stages of planning.
- Should additional capacity be created, it would have to be through natural gas or coal-fired generating plants.
- Most conventional coal-fired power stations burn coal to produce steam, which turns turbines linked to a generator.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.