In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1yacimiento de carbón masculinefeminine área de minas de carbónfeminine zona de minas de carbón
- In the Heshan coalfield, all coals show a strong marine influence, as indicated by the very high organic sulphur contents in the coals.
- The bridge became redundant when the railway was diverted to avoid subsidence caused by the Selby coalfield.
- But in one central place it took hold: in the great opencast coalfields of Kolubara, some 30 miles south of Belgrade, which provide the fuel to generate more than half of Serbia's electricity.
- He was interested in the local rocks, and in 1791 set up for himself in the Somerset coalfield, where he was engaged in underground mine surveys and calculations of coal resources.
- In the coalfields of the Appalachian Mountains, broomsedge dominates abandoned surface strip-mined areas, even after significant periods of time have elapsed since mining.
- During the last three centuries coal from the Yorkshire coalfields has been one of the world's major sources of power.
- The trust, set up in 1990 to safeguard the site, is leading a scheme to regenerate the former coalfield area.
- It strikes back at the job losses experienced in the area's coalfields.
- The increasing impact of this group on national life was identified with dissenting religion and with rapid changes in manufacturing and industry, especially in the coalfield areas.
- With no new mines anticipated for the northern section of the coalfield the port's commodity hinterland had effectively vanished.
- The union's refusal to defend jobs has left mining communities throughout the Appalachian coalfields in a depression-like state.
- When the mine closed he moved to the Nottingham coalfield and stayed down there.
- The trust will take over responsibility for projects under way to transform former coalfields to woodland and open areas, including 12 across the Yorkshire region.
- The coalfield was comparatively recent, however - mining only began there in 1983.
- When these pictures were taken, the Lancashire coalfield boasted over 350 mines.
- In the west are the Ruhr coalfields, while in the east there are large lignite deposits.
- People here know there is a lot of ill health in the coalfields area, but the extent of it shocked everyone.
- Our argument is that the job situation in the coalfield areas is not as good as it looks from the figures.
- Any subsidence in the Selby coalfield will be nothing like as bad, he says.
- Many of the coalfields are also in depressed areas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.