In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It would be a huge boost to the already booming tourist industry along the county coastline.
- It's a rugged county with a spectacular and breathtaking coastline, full of history and legend.
- Along the mainland coastline are shallow reefs and a scattering of wrecks.
- It is claimed that on a really fine day it is possible to see as far away as Galway Bay up along the local coastline.
- Yorkshire pride is at stake in a new competition to find the nation's favourite stretch of coastline.
- It has put up clear warnings about the dangers of the sea at regular intervals along this stretch of coastline.
- The house sits on 35 acres and has a mile of private coastline including a private beach.
- Its thick, gummy oil has blackened hundreds of miles of coastline in Spain.
- Deposits have been discovered on a number of stretches of coastline over the past couple of weeks.
- The town stretched along the coastline, most of it out of sight behind hills that rose up either side of the plain.
- Seals, porpoises and sometimes even Minke whales also visit this coastline.
- In fact, not even a week had passed since another surfer had been eaten on exactly the same piece of coastline.
- However, as with the rest of the world, things are changing fast on this idyllic coastline.
- As day dawned, the landing craft was just off the French coastline and the order to go in was given.
- So she sold her Sydney flat and bought a house on the shores of the city's northern coastline.
- The suddenness of the tsunami caught literally tens of thousands of people unaware along the coastlines of southern Asia.
- The spokesman said it was common for seals to be found along the south Essex coastline.
- Large ponds are dug along coastlines, and any mangrove forests or wetlands in the way are destroyed.
- I had not realised it has the longest coastline of anywhere in the country.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.