In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Its thick, gummy oil has blackened hundreds of miles of coastline in Spain.
- The suddenness of the tsunami caught literally tens of thousands of people unaware along the coastlines of southern Asia.
- It is claimed that on a really fine day it is possible to see as far away as Galway Bay up along the local coastline.
- Seals, porpoises and sometimes even Minke whales also visit this coastline.
- The house sits on 35 acres and has a mile of private coastline including a private beach.
- It's a rugged county with a spectacular and breathtaking coastline, full of history and legend.
- Deposits have been discovered on a number of stretches of coastline over the past couple of weeks.
- So she sold her Sydney flat and bought a house on the shores of the city's northern coastline.
- It would be a huge boost to the already booming tourist industry along the county coastline.
- Along the mainland coastline are shallow reefs and a scattering of wrecks.
- I had not realised it has the longest coastline of anywhere in the country.
- In fact, not even a week had passed since another surfer had been eaten on exactly the same piece of coastline.
- However, as with the rest of the world, things are changing fast on this idyllic coastline.
- Yorkshire pride is at stake in a new competition to find the nation's favourite stretch of coastline.
- The town stretched along the coastline, most of it out of sight behind hills that rose up either side of the plain.
- As day dawned, the landing craft was just off the French coastline and the order to go in was given.
- Large ponds are dug along coastlines, and any mangrove forests or wetlands in the way are destroyed.
- The spokesman said it was common for seals to be found along the south Essex coastline.
- It has put up clear warnings about the dangers of the sea at regular intervals along this stretch of coastline.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.