In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Vermin, mostly rodents and cockroaches, climbed out of the flooded gutters to seek refuge inside houses.
- Houseflies, mosquitoes and cockroaches are identified as the most common domestic insect pests.
- The ants and the cockroaches have also begun to return; no longer is it safe to leave the cat food out on the back step.
- Removing the space prevents cockroaches and other pests from residing in the dark corners.
- For example, if you put your hand in front of a cockroach, the insect will immediately turn and run in the opposite direction.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.