- Hermite had posed the problem of finding the minimal values of quadratic forms in n variables whose coefficients were real.
- The coefficients on the age variable in the models of organization-environment fit may then approach zero.
- The problem was to find the roots by adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and taking roots of expressions in the coefficients.
- He extended the applications of the operational method to linear ordinary differential equations with variable coefficients.
- Montel also investigated the relation between the coefficients of a polynomial and the location of its zeros in the complex plane.