In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is a movie with a distinct and startling cinematic language, but with uncomfortably coercive mannerisms.
- The threat of force is sometimes a necessary component of coercive diplomacy.
- We object only when planners promote coercive schemes and claim they offer benefits they do not.
- Most people believe that children should be spared from coercive power dynamics.
- Language is a good example of the coercive nature of conventions.
- For coercive diplomacy to succeed, the demands made of the targeted government need to be precise, limited and deliverable.
- The Commonwealth has no military force, or coercive power apart from suspension and expulsion.
- The family soon experienced the coercive recruiting tactics of the government forces.
- At that point, any exercise of the state's coercive powers fails to respect the essentials of our humanity.
- It seems to often assume that power is coercive only if exercised by the State.
- The inescapable evils of coercive behavior are not unique to government.
- How can you say we are more coercive when you have never spoken to us?
- His emphasis on the coercive and controlling aspects of the state evoked the Stalin legacy.
- He is the leading advocate of the superiority of voluntary or spontaneous forces over coercive ones.
- What we have here is the government using its coercive power over prisoners for commercial advantage.
- There has been an increasing acknowledgment that assimilation could have a coercive element to it.
- The coercive diplomacy that could yet lead to the dictator's disarmament or his disposal by his own side must be pursued.
- Thus, values and norms were imposed through coercive instruments rather than consensus.
- Welfare recipients are to face new coercive measures to force them into workfare or to accept cheap labor jobs.
- Thus, a monarch with absolute power must take coercive control over an otherwise savage society either by mutual consent or by force.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.