In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ferrocarril de cremallera masculine
- Stepping off the cog railway at 12,500 feet, I'm on the rooftop of the Alps - this is the highest lift-serviced terrain in Europe.
- You have to pay a supplement for the Swiss leg of the route, before being hauled up the side of a huge cliff on a cog railway.
- Pikes Peak is home to one of Colorado's largest bighorn sheep herds, and riders on the cog railway frequently see many of these animals.
- We stopped along the way to peek at the cog railway that goes up Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
- The town has a festive feel, but if you need to get away, take the cog railway up the mountain where the midday lunch lasts several hours.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.