In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1herpes (labial) masculineboquera femininefuego masculine Latin Americapupa feminine Spain informal
- Helen believes in keeping the virus in perspective, ‘If you get a cold sore on your mouth you don't assume you can never kiss anyone again.
- While there's still no cure for the herpes virus (herpes simplex 1 causes cold sores), cold sores are treatable.
- It is a type of herpes virus, which means it is related to the viruses that cause cold sores and genital herpes.
- Dab the oil neat on to infected cuts, fungal infections such as athlete's foot, or cold sores, warts, verrucas and insect bites.
- If it had been herpes simplex (the cold sore virus), the blisters would have been uniform in size.
- Herpes sores usually look like blisters or cold sores.
- Unlike other herpes viruses such as cold sores or shingles, EBV does not usually reactivate to cause a similar illness to the original infection.
- One possible explanation is that herpes simplex - the virus responsible for cold sores - may lie dormant in the facial nerve, then cause inflammation when it reactivates.
- It might be a cold sore, as blistering lesions around your mouth are sometimes caused by a herpes virus - HSV1 often being the culprit.
- This is why you should always wash your hands after touching a cold sore, because the virus is very infectious.
- Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain, usually caused by a viral infection like measles, mumps, chicken pox, influenza or herpes simplex, the cold sore virus.
- Scientists have been given the go-ahead for one of the biggest ever gene therapy trials to investigate whether a modified form of the cold sore virus could save people with brain tumours.
- Don't pick cold sores because this may spread the virus to other parts of the body, or allow the sore to become infected.
- Occasionally, a baby can also acquire herpes after birth if someone with a cold sore (oral herpes) kisses the baby.
- They think that it might be possible to use a version of the cold sore virus herpes simplex to treat a particularly nasty form of brain cancer called glioma.
- Mouth ulcers are different from cold sores that appear on the outer lips and are due to a viral infection.
- Most of us have had cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus.
- Whereas cold sores are contagious, canker sores are not contagious - so kissing cannot spread them.
- Herpes simplex infections commonly cause either cold sores around the mouth or blisters in the genital area (also known as genital herpes).
- If they have any cold or flu symptoms, cold sores, open sores, or recent exposures, they should not visit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.