In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Scattered fruit and non-timber trees and plantations that were collectivized during the creation of the communes were returned to households.
- Its industry was nationalized, its agriculture collectivized and its people regimented by the Communist Party.
- The report went on to note that livestock was collectivized without adequate preparation, and with no thought given to shelter or fodder.
- He expropriated foreign industry and collectivized agriculture.
- ‘We want to take back the stolen state utilities and go further than that by taking control of the oil industry and collectivising insurance and finance,’ said Sheridan.
- From 1929, he introduced a Command Economy based on central planning, Five Year Plans, heavy industry, collectivized agriculture, and re-militarization.
- Traditionally, Nenets have subsisted on nomadic hunting, fishing, and, most importantly, reindeer herding, which was collectivized in the 1930s and 1940s.
- It was in 1981, during what people call ‘the hungry time’, when the wars and the communists' policy of collectivising the farms had devastated the food supply.
- As heavy industry was being developed, agriculture was to be collectivized as a part of achieving Stalin's goal to make Russia a stronger state.
- A document of September 1939 issued by the French Trotskyists declared: ‘It is by taking over the factories, collectivising the wealth for the benefit of all workers that they will have a country of their own and so something to defend.’
- Most agricultural land has been collectivized or is part of a cooperative and thus is not inheritable.
- The distribution of land to the peasantry after World War I was reversed under the Soviet occupation as land was collectivized and put under the control of the state.
- What happened in the three months between Stalin's December announcement and his statement in March 1930 that 58 per cent of peasant households had been collectivized was ghastly.
- Agriculture was collectivized, and the surviving part of the industrial base was abandoned or placed under state control.
- Under communism, agriculture was almost completely collectivized.
- The Riazan peasantry was not prepared economically or ideologically for the shift to collectivized agriculture.
- Not only does this suggest that we can speak of a genuine legal culture in some sectors of the Soviet judiciary, it also evinces the rejection of a revolutionary-era commitment to collectivized child raising.
- The goals were to set up a new, collectivized, noncapitalist economy, to establish universal education and health care, and to create a ‘new man’ in a new society.
- It is probably not surprising that employees in the public sector are five times more likely to be collectivised than their private sector counterparts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.