In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1collie femininepastor escocés masculinepastora escocesa feminine
- By 1944, the Army accepted only five breeds: German shepherds, Belgian sheepdogs, Doberman pinschers, farm collies, and giant schnauzers.
- They have six dogs in training - all pure breed collies trained for competition.
- While innate livestock sense is bred into all good working collies, their working style can vary.
- For example, when collies became popular pets in the Victorian period, they lost many of the characteristics that made them effective herd dogs.
- He has his two sheepdogs - collies Joe and Jeff - hot on his heels.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.