In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1colocación típica feminine
- The collocations go to church/school/college and be at church/school/college are shared, but go to university/be at university and go to hospital/be in hospital are BrE, AmE requiring the as in go to the university.
- ‘Isotropic rigmarole’ is a cute collocation, with a texture like chrome and bone.
- Other errors stem from the software's reliance on collocational data - for instance, the transcription follows sordid with tale, which appears to be nothing more than a hunch based on the frequency of the collocation sordid tale.
- If the substituted words have relevant meanings, so much the better; and if the original collocation is archaic or otherwise non-compositional, that improves the chances still further.
- This example shows how the meanings of words are constructed and maintained by patterns of collocation.
- Johnson gave little attention to collocation, idiom, and grammatical information, although he provided a brief grammar at the front.
- 3 Wright is careful with his words, and so we can conclude that the repeated collocation of the phrases ‘moral bootstraps’ and ‘Pelagianism’ is no accident.
- The fact that profits is used in collocation with the expression ‘could reasonably be taken to be attributable’ has considerable significance.
- For example, he invites us to ‘consider the number of collocations like ‘by and large’ that we use with no discernible compositional rationale.’
- He has smoothed out a whole range of peculiar collocations and syntactical anomalies in order to make the translation flow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.