In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A formal colour bar in employment was introduced in 1934, under the Industrial Conciliation Act.
- Although he lifted the colour bar, he sent telegrams to every embassy telling them to find ‘administrative means’ to reject black volunteers.
- Given that colour bars have practically disappeared, it appears that much of Asian social segregation is not so much because of racism, but rather is voluntary.
- He upheld customary usages and institutions in Goa, reduced anti-Hindu discrimination, promoted education and tolerance, and abolished the colour bar.
- So although marriage across the colour bar was unlawful in apartheid South Africa, a priest who married a black man and a white woman was not engaged in an act of corruption.
- It was also a time when employers could operate a colour bar, hotels or guest houses could display ‘no coloureds’ notices, and a private citizen was free to discriminate or not as he chose on any grounds in any area of life.
- In sixth grade, for example, my teacher selected me to write a sports column for the class newsletter, and I wrote about Jackie Robinson's drive to break the colour bar and become the first Black American in the major leagues.
- He lost his job when he sided with the white (largely Afrikaner) workers in their dispute over the abandonment of the colour bar.
- A color bar was established that defined what jobs a black worker could and could not do: white workers inevitably won the better jobs, and in 1913 white workers received trade-union recognition.
- You can't fight the colour bar merely by telling people it exists.
- Jackie Robinson had to suffer injustice before following his pathway to dreams when he surmounted baseball's colour bar in 1945.
- Clubs which openly operated a colour bar were a considerable problem in the 1960s, and there were several cases under the Race Relations Act 1968 dealing with this.
- In a generation it has become a truly racially harmonious place, wiping away centuries of colour bar.
- This is especially true of course when one considers the legislation that used to exist in South Africa with regard to sex across the colour bar and homosexuality.
- It features Clive Rowe, a black actor who has proved there is no colour bar to taking over and excelling in roles written for Caucasians.
- Unlike other parts of the Empire, Britain's 1914 and 1948 Nationality Acts affirmed that there was no colour bar to British citizenship.
- Hertzog's government and subsequent governments progressively entrenched the colour bar.
- Although the colour bar lasted only a few seasons, football in Darwin was tainted with racist exclusion until the end of the war.
sistema social que discrimina a las personas de raza negra
2(range of colors)barra de colores feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.