In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blouse/walls) de color
- The double bedroom has two double wardrobes and gold carpet, which complements the neutral-coloured walls.
- Do you think he would have commanded as much respect if he had worn different coloured contact lenses, white make-up and black eye-shadow?
- Many anglers like to use several highly coloured plastic beads just in front of the bait as an added attraction.
- He had a chubby face, was wearing a black jacket and beige-coloured trousers, and witnesses estimate his age as around 30.
- It is best to use a light-colored preferably white background with black or very dark-colored text.
- The answer is that it is a light-coloured animal with black stripes.
- She had dark brown eyes that looked almost completely black in the fading light with olive-coloured skin.
- He had blond hair and was wearing a light-coloured jacket, white trousers and black shoes.
- He wore a grey top, light-coloured trousers and white trainers with a blue stripe down the side.
- In front of her was Cameron, leaning towards her, his black bangs falling into his light honey-coloured eyes.
- But search time can be reduced if anyone seeing a goose wearing a coloured collar with black letters can report it to the laboratory.
- Then, when this highly coloured infant wine is still only half fermented, it is poured into a large vat of cool brandy or grape spirit.
- He could see nothing but flashes of different colored lights before everything went completely black.
- Along the staircase, everything goes black except for a few colored lights here and there.
- It is preferable to have a white or light-coloured background.
- They favor light, brightly colored clothes and are interested in the latest fashions.
- In the international pearl market, the demand is for large-sized coloured pearls of black, silvery green and green to deep purple hues.
- Neutral-colored paint is excellent for garden furniture, since you want to keep the attention on your colorful garden, not the furniture.
- They have formed the basis for the collection of black and white and coloured snaps, which I now possess.
- We wore flowery shirts and cheap sunglasses with round black rims and coloured lenses (Tony's blue and mine crimson).
- One of the men was 6ft tall, with short black hair, of stocky build, and was wearing a black vest and cream-coloured shorts.
2offensive, dated(non-white)de color offensivemulatomestizo
- His generally lush and highly coloured realisations of the instrumental continuo adds further dramatic weight.
- Another highly colored phrase worked its way from my depths as I realized that such a mistake would not be easily repaired.
- His stories are highly coloured and immoderate, both sweet and sour.
dated, offensive(non-white)persona de color feminine offensivemasculine mulatofeminine mulatamasculine mestizofeminine mestiza
2coloreds pluralropa de color feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.