In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(size/building/strength/amount) colosal(amount/size/building/strength) descomunal(idiot) de tomo y lomo informal
- £35,000 is a colossal amount of debt to start your working life with.
- Even at the remove of twenty years many of the key players in the dreadful tragedy could still not accept that they had made colossal mistakes on the night.
- It's a colossal mistake to dismiss the book blog community.
- It made £4500 in 1973, which was a colossal amount of money.
- They spend colossal amounts of money on their dogs over there.
- I actually thought about charging for it, which would have been a colossal mistake.
- It is also the only building in the parish with colossal order columns.
- Now we're paying a huge price for their colossal mistake.
- Every one knows of the huge waiting lists of the NHS; just think what a difference the colossal amounts of money paid out in compensation would make to these!
- She has put on a colossal amount of weight though, so I hope she's doing ok and it's not a bad sign.
- Thanks to some very generous donations and a colossal amount of hard work, it's all taken shape.
- Well in fact, that 1% cut in central government is 1% of a colossal amount of our money.
- For any of them to become a reality would require a massive amount of consultation, colossal investment and a great deal of faith.
- I thought it was a mistake of colossal magnitude and I still do.
- If you give them enough space and have a good summer, bees will store a colossal amount of honey; I got 120 pounds out of one hive on a good summer.
- So colossal was the output that Blackburn was the greatest weaving town in the world.
- On the surface, it would appear to be a colossal waste of money.
- Michelangelo emphasizes the massiveness of the Senators palace by using the colossal order and balustrade above a tall base.
- They are on all the time and use a colossal amount of electricity.
- In fact, this meant a colossal amount of foreign travel.
- The amount of money generated for the local economy in salaries alone is colossal.
- The five-bay front facade has a three-bay, colossal, fluted, composite order portico which is repeated on the five-bay rear façade.
- Yet it is a colossal mistake to concentrate on the negative aspects of our society and to be blind to so much of value.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.