In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(young horse)potro masculine
- My fondest memory at our farm was watching my brother training the young colts in the paddock in the summer days while I sat on the fence nearby.
- Any colt or filly who wins a Classic is likely to be much sought after as a stallion or brood mare.
- I visited her whenever I was able, and helped deliver her foals, splendid colts and fillies, who, in their own careers, bore the greatest soldiers of the age on their mightiest campaigns.
- I hated this time of year as the young colts or filly used to be brought to the forge to have something done to their feet.
- The colt, now aged four, has embarked on what is already a successful stud career.
- I thought her performance was excellent, better than anything she had achieved before, since she was taking on colts and older horses for the first time.
- The colt reared and began galloping when other horses breezed past him.
- Two colts brought the joint highest price for a male on the day of $525,000.
- The allotment includes 12 fillies and eight colts, many with ties to American racing.
- Male colts become reproductively active at approximately five years.
- Recently, a young colt died as a direct result of eating grass cuttings discarded in his field.
- He changes the notion of kingship by riding on a colt rather than a horse.
- The card is highlighted by a pair of stakes of $75,000 stakes for older fillies and mares and for older colts and geldings.
- For example, a young colt will turn to put his primary line in line with yours and he'll raise his head to grow taller and get a good look.
- She pressed her hand against the forehead of a young colt, which whinnied in surprise and delight.
- The brood mare section has classes for sport horses, filly and colts, foals, Irish Draught mares, Irish Draught filly foal qualifiers and Irish Sport horse foal qualifier.
- We always wanted young horses but we never had any colts before, so we started getting into it.
- The colt began picking off horses but soon ran out of running room on the inside.
- Most times he was starting colts and fixing problem horses, inevitably winding up being the resident horse guy.
- The total number of horses - 2,668 colts, 2,440 fillies, and two geldings - is 219 more than last year's previous record of 4,891.
trademark(gun)colt masculine trademark
- The sheriff had a shotgun in one hand and a Colt revolver in the other.
- It resembles many of the English revolvers more closely than the Colts and Remingtons.
- The problem is found in discerning which Colts are black powder guns and which are smokeless.
- The US forces retained the Colt automatic which had been in use since 1911.
- I always had the feeling the flintlock had a much slower lock time than the Colt cap and ball revolver.
- She is a qualified coach and umpire who has helped develop an impressive number of pupils from the school who play in the colts teams at Ealing, Brentham, Perivale and Wembley cricket clubs.
- The grandson of an East Fremantle player played just one colts game for the Sharks prior to being drafted at 10 in 1999 by Hawthorn.
- He said the club already catered for 200 juniors on Sundays and ran three or four senior sides in addition to two colts teams.
- North Fremantle is looking to field two colts teams in next year's amateur competition so the future is looking as bright as the past.
- His proud dad- who now coaches Romford Hockey Club's colts team - said competing in the national championships would offer the whole team a great chance to shine in front of the watching England selectors.
- The whole team's work rate and tackling were exceptional and made what was potentially a tricky divisional quarter-final tie into a showcase of junior colts rugby at its best.
- Both are products of the Ilkley mini, junior and colts sections.
- He was the captain of the state's colts team in 1996-97 and 1997-98, and also toured Zimbabwe with an Australian Academy team in 1998-99.
- The colts that constitute the ‘A’ team and representing the quintessence of the second line talent waiting for national recognition should strive to match the deeds of their predecessors.
- I made the league team at 18 and then kicked three goals in the colts grand final and I felt pretty good about myself.
- On some days he would play a colts ' match in the morning and then be driven by his father to a club match in the afternoon - anything to play and have a bat.
- The draw for the first game (North Divisional quarter-finals) will take place on Sunday, when the colts are due to travel to Leigh on Sunday to complete the league season.
- He was always a great supporter of the club and supported cricket right down to the colts, the youth team.
- The match will be between seniors, colts and juniors for the Alec Armstrong Memorial Shield.
- Further proof of the success of the junior and colts hockey programme at Ben Rhydding Hockey Club is the selection of two boys for the North East of England.
- We have seen players drop catches that children catch in the playground, make fielding errors that would have the coach of a colts side roaring in fury.
- The 17-year-old polled five votes in the colts competition's fairest and best award, the Jack Clarke Medal, and was a member of East Fremantle's colts premiership team.
- The qualification for some of those games is that the provincial teams were missing All Blacks, New Zealand colts and sevens players, and had very little time together to prepare.
- All three have come up through the county sides, the boys, the colts and the full county teams.
- Both came through the superb colts section at the Ilkley-based club where up to 80 girls train on a Wednesday night and a similar number of boys on a Friday night.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.