- There are several loops which take you down into the steep, thickly wooded ‘combes’ beneath the hills.
- The return route used a short section of the Ridgeway and then the footpath down a sheltered coombe and a short roam on newly mapped access land.
- It stands in a wooded coomb with a natural spring at its head.
- It has 300 miles of exquisite coastline, the bleak beauty of Dartmoor, a chunk of unspoilt Exmoor, as well as its characteristic combes, vast hanging copses of oak and beech, and rugged, still-healthy rivers.
- On June 22 some 30 members visited a Tudor Manor with formal manorial garden set in a steep and secluded wooded coomb.