In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After college, he started playing in jazz and funk combos around the Manchester student pubs of Withington and Fallowfield for a few quid and some beer.
- Ironically, the room is so small that one can hardly envision any kind of live band in it, even a small jazz combo like the one that Jones used.
- In World War I some of the army regimental bands had formed jazz combos to entertain their buddies.
- There's no doubt that keeping an old-style surf-twang instrumental rock combo fresh is hard work.
- The ensemble isn't your usual combo for a rock band.
- The Brazilian samba band, like a symphony orchestra or a jazz combo, unites distinctive voices into an exciting whole.
- Obviously when people come into the church and they see a double-bass and a drummer and piano player, it has that look of being a jazz combo right from the start.
- She has performed with the Greensboro Philharmonia, saxophone quartets and small jazz combos.
- As an organizational psychologist, he has studied the inner workings of everything from firefighting crews to jazz combos.
- The Georgia section, host of the meeting, also celebrated its 100th anniversary with a lively banquet and a jazz combo.
- The classically trained violinist started her career playing in jazz combos.
- Wearing another hat many people around Cumbria will have seen him perform solo or as part of his jazz combo.
- American-, Brazilian-, and Cuban-influenced jazz combos enjoy a small but dedicated following.
- Because, for all of their rock leanings, they are a jazz combo in the best way possible - each player brings a potent set of chops to his respective instrument.
- Members of the popular local jazz combo will be moving far away from their jazzy roots this weekend, however, and will hopefully be creating a whole new buzz with a set of original jazz based vibes.
- Turning his back on the empty symphonic effects that have become clichés, he is breaking new musical ground, using a big steel band as an expansion of his jazz combos.
- Live music at Saturday's event was provided by a 19-piece dance band, two jazz combos and two original 1960s groups.
- By the war's end, demand for small combos rendered Goodman's big bands obsolete.
- It's true there seems to be more pre-punk throwback groups and romantically connected combos gigging nowadays than there were CBGB crowd members in '76.
- There's also a remote chance these lads have heard of an obscure combo called The Rolling Stones.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.