In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(scene/actor) cómico(writer) humorístico
- It's a darkly comic drama, which makes you wonder how they get away with it.
- It's both funny and sad, but thanks to the poet's excellent comic timing, it's mostly funny.
- The songs also allow each character to unveil her inner life, as a sort of monologue both moving and comic.
- Fast-paced comic fun, with a strong whiff of circus slapstick, for the discerning younger viewer.
- It is a unique mix of comedy characters and comic sketches spiced up by a team of the best oriental writers and performers.
- Some messages are genuinely funny, others unintentionally comic.
- Roadside entertainment involved a man in a comic mask, walking around and fooling bystanders.
- On stage, with her impeccable comic timing, she is very funny.
- However she baulks at the suggestion that the picture will be a comic drama.
- In the latter, it was somewhat hard to connect to the characters, who often seemed exaggerated for comic effect.
- He is a witty, engaging presence in the early comic scenes, portraying the doctor with soft-spoken befuddlement.
- It's an indulgent fantasy, saved by Chow's precise comic timing and the preposterous action sequences.
- This is the theatrical ambition of every comic actor who dreams of going beyond comedy to tragedy.
- The actors give convincing and entertaining performances with great comic pitch and timing.
- Is this a smear, or is she merely exaggerating for comic effect, I wonder?
- It's a hilarious film full of gems of comic absurdity that are mixed in with nonchalant understatement.
- During the day fancy dress competitions were held, bowling and tennis tournaments and entertainment from several comic bands.
- He knows what funny is, and can do comic timing, given a script.
- You do not need to be a great comic writer to give written or spoken communication a humorous edge.
- Not pointing any finger but as a comic actor used to say ‘I only asked’.
- This cheapens and degrades the movie and insults the current style of the comic franchise.
- Not unless he is simply to reacting to the comic timing instead of the core of the joke, which is possible.
- Grint's got fantastic comic timing and knows exactly how far to take it, often stealing a scene with nothing more than a look.
- I couldn't tell if he was offended or joking, but I was leaning towards the comic side.
- For comic effect it has a character whose supposedly hilarious weakness is to use phrases that have gone out of fashion.
- In Dawn, we finally - and it was about time - have a British comic heroine who is not idiotically silly.
- His exploits make for comic entertainment on these increasingly cold nights in.
- Although this astonishing horse never sets hoof on stage, it looms large in the mind's eye, thanks to this stand-up comic monologue.
- These elements, coupled with some spot-on comic timing are side-splitting to behold.
- I knew I had sort of a comic talent, comic timing, and I wanted to be a comic actor.
- It is a high-wire act of comic absurdity with a safety net of sentimentality.
- There seems to be an unwritten law that football songs should be comic or humorous, or at least not too serious.
- They're also frequently funny, though the comic scenes are almost invariably laced with tragedy or fear.
- It may have been written in a comic style, but it's hardly the barrel of laughs the reviewers make it out to be.
- That's the difference between comic drama and corporate motivation.
- A second later Val and Sam jumped out in laughter, as though they were the cleverest comic geniuses.
- He has inherited his father's comic style, low key and thoroughly decent.
- You are witty, have great comic timing and a fantastic accent.
- These four issues are some of the best mainstream comic entertainment I have read.
- It is such sheer joy to watch someone like Sandler enhance his skill as a comic actor.
1(comedian)cómico masculinecómica femininehumorista feminine
- Not being as funny as they once were is what every comic dreads.
- Jim is a lot more entertaining to me as a comic than as an actor.
- But I did arrive at a point in my life where I realized I would not be a huge stand-up comic.
- Grantham, an occasional amateur stand-up comic, wants people to laugh along.
- Comedians have voted the late Peter Cook the greatest comic of all time.
- At its worst, it's like a humorless stand-up comic's miserable childhood routine.
- By night he's a singer and stand-up comic who uses bad language and tackles controversial social issues.
- It's like when you go to a comedy club, and the less experienced comics get up and start pulling out the lewd jokes.
- The comic had risen through the stand-up ranks, working hard at developing an act after his initial performances drew derision.
- Sara is a writer and stand-up comic who works quite happily in San Francisco, thank you very much.
- Kay also brought in some comics he had met on the stand-up circuit.
- Milton Berle told me once comics make good actors because they're acting all the time.
- The Liverpool comic and impressionist cancelled his Grand Opera House show only 90 minutes before it was due to start.
- We sat laughing and gasping in awe at the writing, the delivery and the sheer brilliance of Britain's best stand-up comic.
- Half of the work for a stand-up comic is actually the willingness to put yourself out there and give it a shot.
- These stand-up comics make a living performing at Comedy Clubs.
- My grandfather was a clergyman in the Church of England and he was one of the funniest stand-up comics I ever met.
- And we want to do it with laughter, concentrating on what comics do best - communicate.
- Obviously a comic needs a spontaneous funny side to them, but there's a technical side as well.
- As a stand-up comic, MacAulay has a rare gift - he can put his audience at ease and mercilessly ridicule them at the same time.
2.1masculine comicmasculine libro de historietasmasculine comicfeminine revista de historietasmasculine tebeo Spainfeminine revista de chistes River Plate
- The beauty of this comic is in its fantastic combination of literary and artistic skills.
- Auntie May, who was the manageress of a bookshop, sent me supplies of new books and comics.
- I've lost most of my copies of your books & comics by lending them to people to read.
- The idea of becoming a journalist came from Superman comics.
- For the first time in centuries, the weekly publication of Batman comics was broken.
- I can't wait to begin reading it as I love all of your other books and comics I have seen so much!
- Do I go for a long wander around London or do I stay in and finally sort out the piles of books, comics and magazines in the hallway?
- I stopped buying regular monthly comics a few years back so I don't do this anymore, but at one time I was there with the best of them.
- There was a buggy park in the waiting room, as well as comics for children and magazines for adults.
- During the publication of the monthly comic, one issue in particular stands out.
- Crayons and paper, puzzle books, small books and comics are a few ideas.
- It's always a treat for the child if you take a few things along with you, such as comics, books, stickers and coloured pens.
- The range of magazines and comics for children is one of the largest.
- Between January 31 and February 17, there were loads of discounts on books and comics for children.
- An interesting development has been that I'm spending hours reading books and comics again, and enjoying them.
- The fair offers a fabulous range - from comics to regular books.
- It was in the bathroom, next to yesterday's comics and a skateboard catalog.
- I wasn't even in double-digits then, but I knew that these comics were special.
- Children have not been left out: there is a huge collection ranging from colouring books to popular comics.
- Children shared books, comics and newspapers with a family member or friend to see how much literature they could get through in a week.
2.2comics pluralUS (comic strips)tiras cómicas femininehistorietas femininemonitos masculine Mexico Andes
- They draw comics of their favourite cartoon shows, and make a bundle at it.
- However, I try to take 15 minutes each day to read the daily comics in the newspaper.
- Satrapi illustrates her comics in a simple style, but don't let that fool you.
- Transparencies were made of the cartoons and comics to share with students.
- How on earth can the most truthful thing in the newspaper be the comics?
- Sam sat at the rickety old table, sipping a cup of coffee and skimming through the comics in the daily paper.
- The style of production of independents who work on their own comics tends to differ from that of their contract work.
- Drama and comics are also used to help students better understand the some of the more complex concepts.
- We loaded the car up with snacks, comics, some storybooks and a selection of toys in order to keep up Zachery's interest.
- Born in New York in 1923, Roy drew much of his inspiration from advertisements, comics and cartoons.
- Drawing comics for a living would appear to be a dream come true, but it has the unfortunate side effect of transforming leisure into work.
- I stared at the pink walls covered in horse posters, sketches, and drawn comics.
- He was not the caricature that cartoonists and comics had created.
- Actually she's been doing mostly comics and hadn't done actual drawing for years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.