In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He often used commas to end a sentence, he rarely capitalized proper nouns.
- You should not end your sentence before you have a subject and verb appropriately placed, nor jam all your sentences together with commas.
- His personal philosophy of punctuation is, ideally, to avoid all punctuation marks except commas and full stops.
- May as well clump them all together in one enormous paragraph; separated only by commas.
- You don't need to know the 17 reasons to insert a comma into a sentence.
- Out of respect for the opinions of others, I try to use apostrophes and commas correctly, but I'm less interested in the details of punctuation than in nearly any other topic I can think of.
- Byatt admittedly isn't in this league, but she does have a penchant for sentences with lots of commas.
- Missing commas and run-on sentences may not be a bad thing for teenagers engaged in writing-intensive online activity, says an English professor.
- In the realm of punctuation, a comma is used for a brief pause, a semicolon for a more moderate pause, and a period as a full stop.
- For one thing, the author has a nasty habit of separating sentences with a comma, when a semi-colon would be far more appropriate.
- You make punctuation mistakes on a regular basis, particularly by using commas when semi-colons or full stops are required.
- I thank you all for reading, commenting, arguing and bearing with me while I figured out how to string words into sentences, and use commas, effectively.
- As it is separated from the other words in the list by a comma on either side, it is identified as a separate deduction from the selling prices of the inventory items.
- I don't agree with the comma - read that sentence with the suggested pause and see if you still want it there.
- I once saw a three-line sentence with eighteen commas, which basically meant that there was a comma after every other word.
- In the areas of punctuation and usage, the Spanish language is much more flexible with commas, semicolons, and word order, and long sentences that would be considered run-ons in English are commonly acceptable in Spanish.
- Others can have a list of values separated by commas.
- Besides the aforementioned substitution of stronger punctuation marks for the slight pauses produced by the commas, this passage in the second edition manifests other telling alterations.
- If the marked semi-colon does not join two groups of words that would make sense as separate sentences, replace the semicolon with a comma.
- And not using commas or question marks in the correct places at all times.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.