In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(unit, soldier)comando masculine(raid/unit) de comandos
- There, French commandos raided the plane, killing all of the hijackers.
- Special military commandos using tanks entered the district, and helicopters carried out surveillance overhead; the air space was closed down for a radius of 7 kilometres.
- Training was similar to that carried out by the commandos, with emphasis placed on raiding, sentry elimination, ambushing, cross-country night navigation exercises, and target attacks.
- He had been leading his squad of commandos towards a target of a group of houses when he spotted enemy soldiers hiding in the houses.
- And there's more new equipment to come, this time for Australia's special forces, including SAS soldiers and commandos.
- More than 100 US commandos and British SAS soldiers are now in southern Afghanistan, setting up road blocks.
- The commandos carried out operations against invading Japanese forces, during WW2.
- Upon completion of the selection phase, potential commandos are trained in a vast array of necessary skills.
- Specially selected commandos, backed by artillery and tanks, surrounded the temple walls.
- Heavily armed police commandos and Army soldiers, backed by armored cars, patrolled the town barely an hour after the explosions.
- Kept carefully out of the media has been many of the operations of over a thousand Special Forces and commandos known to be in the area.
- Those commandos, who previously trained together with their colleagues from the American special forces, have served with distinction.
- This operational capability requires commandos to be trained and equipped differently to conventional infantry soldiers.
- Food rations and special-forces commandos are being airlifted into Afghanistan.
- The mobilisation includes paramilitary forces, regular soldiers and specially trained commandos.
- The crisis ended with a dawn raid by Thai commandos.
- Eventually, commandos from the Army and the Royal Marines were combined into four brigades.
- As they rounded a corner another squad of heavily armed commandos sprang from around the next building.
- According to the Washington Post, the operation will include the CIA working with commandos and other military units to act immediately on intelligence uncovered by American spies about enemy targets.
- If the government needs some well trained commandos, quickly, these are the men who will go.
- The ensuing fire-fight left the gun-boat beyond use and it left the 20 landing craft carrying the commandos unprotected.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.