In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Common Era — la era cristiana
- The pottery pieces seem to belong to the early centuries of the Common Era, suggesting there was a settlement here that was engaged in the Roman trade.
- Cordoba was one of the major capitals of Islamic civilisation in the past, and from roughly 800 to 1200 of the Common Era it was a place where Jews and Christians and Muslims lived together harmoniously.
- It was then rediscovered by Chinese arithmeticians at around the start of the Common Era.
- The earliest collections of Aesopian fables which have come down to us, though, date from the first centuries of the Common Era.
- By the middle of the first century of the Common Era, society in Palestine was deeply divided.
- Born in Basra, Iraq in 965 in the Common Era, he turned things around.
- From the time of the Christian scriptures in the 1st century of the Common Era to now, Christians have followed their hearts and their cultural times to interpret what salvation means.
- we've been bemoaning the degeneration of society and culture since before the Common Era.
- If one includes the earliest stages of the tradition, as I have done in this book, it flourished for an astonishing 1500 years - with the first five centuries of the Common Era seeing the greatest activity and variety.
- Yet our forgotten prayer chant, along with much of its underlying text, was adopted by Christianity during the early centuries of the Common Era.
- There are records of Christian spells dating back to the second century of the Common Era.
- Mark, this is the 21st century of the Common Era.
- Two thousand and five years into the Common Era.
- There were many other components to religion in Celtic society before the Common Era, and they were integrated within the daily life, and still remain part of the culture.
- This is not unlike the historical situation in which a group of Israelites found themselves in the sixth century before the Common Era.
- The birthday did not occur in the years 1991, 1993, and 1996 of Common Era.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.