In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1derecho consuetudinario masculinebefore noun common-law wife — concubina feminine
- common-law marriage — matrimonio consensual / de hecho
- In fact, you can use the money to help out your spouse or common-law partner - but not your kids.
- An Idutywa businesswoman and her common-law husband were found guilty of fraud involving theft of pension cheques amounting to more than R700 000.
- Over the years the whole issue of marriage has changed and many couples would rather live together as common-law husband and wife, many feel that if they got married then their whole relationship would change, for us this was never the case.
- Pension providers were recently asked if they make a point of never providing pensions for common-law partners under any circumstances.
- Her common-law husband, Manuel Ortega, had decided to pay her a visit at the family home in Guatemala.
- Within the hour, a man officers have described as her common-law husband went to police.
- Her common-law husband is Lawrence Dublay, who is 65 years old.
- She'll remember her common-law husband of nine years for his extensive pin collection and for serving her breakfast in bed.
- At home, her common-law husband did an extra one to two hours of housework that she could no longer do after the accident.
- Ingram's common-law husband knew and so did students.
- Like married spouses, common-law partners can opt out of the property sharing regime by entering into a written agreement dealing with their property.
- Her common-law husband is a prison guard in Napanee, and was also on strike with OPSEU.
- The policy permits Iowa State to offer the same insurance credits for domestic partners enrolled in an Iowa State benefits plan as it does for married or common-law partners.
- Having risen from a difficult childhood, difficulties with alcohol, loss of employment, his home and a failed marriage, he now has stable employment and enjoys a loving relationship with his common-law wife.
- Two individuals are affiliated only if they are spouses or common-law partners.
- Her mother stood next to an open doorway and sobbed yesterday as the undertakers brought down her common-law husband's body.
En el derecho inglés, el término se refiere a la ley basada en la costumbre y en el fallo de los tribunales (derecho consuetudinario y jurisprudencia respectivamente), es decir que no ha sido creada en el Parlamento. A menudo se contrapone a derecho escrito (statute law). El derecho consuetudinario (common law) solo rige cuando el derecho escrito no se pronuncia en una materia.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.