In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1comunicado masculinethe Government issued a communiqué — el gobierno emitió un comunicado
- a joint communiqué — un comunicado conjunto
- The national shopkeepers federation acknowledged that it had issued a communique urging its members not to accept debit cards.
- In an official communique released here, it was stated that a number of teams have been constituted to check the cases of theft of canal water.
- The joint communique issued after the talks said that both countries honour the treaty.
- In a communiqué issued at the end of the Pacific Forum meeting in Auckland, New Zealand last week, leaders repeated their concerns over the shipment of radioactive materials.
- In a communiqué issued August 29, he ‘demanded that the kidnappers release forthwith their hostages unharmed.’
- They concluded with a communique asserting a collective determination to resist aggression.
- It was part of the communique that was issued late last night.
- However, by the end of the war German newspapers were just single sheets of official communiqués and obituaries.
- The final communiqué also announced that a special fund would be set up to help the victims.
- The only official source of information about the war is the limited communiqués issued by the Defence Ministry.
- The two sides issued a joint communiqué stressing the need to restore friendly relations and agreed to broaden bilateral ties in various areas.
- A communiqué issued by the leaders downgraded climate change from a global ‘threat’ to a ‘challenge’.
- A number of media attended the media conference at the end of it, and a media communiqué was issued.
- At its meeting last week, the committee voted to ask the provincial ministry of health to issue a communiqué that will remind doctors to provide service to all qualified patients.
- The following is from a communiqué issued yesterday by the Peace and Security Council of the African Union.
- He will not engage in direct dialogue, but will issue communiques, or press releases, said the movement's secretary general.
- An official communiqué issued tonight by the Polish police revealed a widespread conspiracy to organise acts of sabotage.
- It said that a spokesman was no longer needed, and the Commission would just issue direct communiques.
- The communique is unlikely to go much beyond a statement of intent to reform rather than action.
- And to add authenticity to the scene the author has called upon a communiqué issued by Carlow County Council almost two years ago.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.