In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The grandeur of the architecture has faded only slightly from the neglect of the communist years.
- The rebels have not yet dropped their demand of a communist republic for Nepal, the rebel leader said.
- Soviet security personnel orchestrated periodic purges inside the east European communist parties.
- In the interests of business the great capitalist became the communist government's most powerful supporter.
- Pristina was a stereotypical city built on communist architecture.
- During the communist era, Christmas in Budapest was a low-key affair, often celebrated clandestinely.
- Strangely they fail to mention the years he spent living in a communist country.
- Ironically, the unchallenged primacy of the supreme leader is also the saving grace of communist ideology.
- The communist Khmer Rouge have been blamed for the deaths of at least 1.7 million Cambodians from 1975 to 1979.
- Deals done in the past, between fraternal communist parties, continue to have ramifications in the present.
- Few journalists covering prerevolutionary China can claim to be familiar with communist rebel life in the trenches.
- The interrogations were conducted by Russians, Germans, Hungarians, etc, all of them members of their respective communist parties.
- In 1960 the threat of a communist takeover of the newly independent Congo garnered attention to the whole of Africa.
- There was the case of radio commentator Lin Bin who was firebombed by communist sympathisers.
- I always knew my communist sympathies would pay off.
- Stalinist reaction in the USSR had profound implications for the international communist movement.
- They didn't fit in with the communist regime's vision for the country.
- Without a guarantee from a multilateral agency, commercial banks are wary of taking a punt on a mega-project in communist Laos.
- During the first year of the renewed conflict, numerically superior nationalist troops made large territorial gains, including the communist capital of Yan'an.
- They grew up hearing every day how they lived in a communist country getting better all the time.
- We witness a communist leader addressing a trade union rally that is broken up by police.
- I am a dedicated socialist and actually consider myself a communist in the true sense.
- They were given a communist education and sang this song because it was the only one they knew.
- He still describes himself as a communist, and still calls for a revolution.
- The communists, or the radical left, have formed a group under various labels since 1973.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.