In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in US)fondos reunidos voluntariamente por la comunidad, destinados a beneficencia y bienestar social
- Since then, the entry has been funded by the community chest.
- Various funding pots are being explored, including the council's community chest, area forum and the North Yorkshire Area Committee.
- Among his first public proclamations was a call for the relief of the poor and the establishment of community chests to provide interest-free loans to the needy.
- Parents can also bid for up to £5,000 from a Sure Start community chest to run schemes of their choice.
- In turn we are expected to contribute to the community chest when we are well and working.
- A £500 grant was donated by their community chest and a variety of fundraising events are being held over the next few months.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.