In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1comparación femininethere is no (point of) comparison between them — no tienen (ni punto de) comparación
- by/in comparison (with sth/sb) — en comparación (con algo/algn)
- mine is cheap in comparison — el mío es barato en comparación
- the old system doesn't bear / stand comparison with the new one — no se puede comparar el viejo sistema con el nuevo
- comparisons are odious — las comparaciones son odiosas
- The GMC drew a comparison between revalidation and the periodic assessments that airline pilots have to undergo.
- A similar comparison between 1940 and 1979 would have seen prices fall in value.
- We made a similar comparison with those reporting increased acting out when anxious.
- He also makes light of the opinion poll comparison, but the comparison is sound.
- If similar comparisons are extended to the United States homeland, the conclusions are troubling.
- We made similar comparisons for daily availability of routine appointments.
- Calls for more bank holidays always invite comparisons - usually with the Continent.
- This approach was considered acceptable for the comparison of the panel rating data with the measured profiles.
- How can this person make a subjective comparison to other similar games if they already don't like them?
- Hence, a comparison of the two estimates could give some clues as to how population size has changed over time.
- To such we invite a rigid comparison of the principles and practice of the two schools at the present day.
- Each comparison used the topology estimated from the particular sequences being compared.
- Of course, averages invite comparisons, and this figure varies hugely from car to car.
- If it feels unfairly singled out, it should remember that this is a comparison it invited upon itself.
- As the present sample did not include polyploid eudicots, a similar comparison for polyploids alone was not possible.
- His potential and spiky energy have invited comparisons with some of the finest in Liverpool's history.
- A comparison of estimates of dip separation based on onshore geology and seismic data is presented later in the paper.
- Over the past decade I have read similar comparisons for many countries and regions of the developing world.
- This contention was examined through a comparison of two schools that varied considerably in the emphasis they placed on examinations.
- A simple comparison between two apparently similar works illustrates the point.
2Linguisticscomparación femininedegrees of comparison — grados de comparación
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.