In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(statement of displeasure)queja femininereclamo masculine Latin Americamy main complaint was the food — mi principal (motivo de) queja era la comida
- to make a complaint — reclamar
- to lodge a complaint — presentar una queja
- they have no cause/grounds for complaint — no tienen motivo de queja
- It is also understood that complaints that he has been harassed by the media have been lodged with local Gardaí.
- Yet, there are frequent complaints that his films are not easy to understand.
- Traffic officers have received a number of complaints that drivers are skirting the barriers.
- The tough measures are in response to complaints that the government was taken by surprise by the last protest.
- I feel that because of the tremendous amount of complaints that they received last year they felt they had to do something.
- Meanwhile, Lismore Council has responded to complaints that it is wasting water.
- Having said that, we have received dozens of complaints about your statements at our meetings.
- Over 40 per cent of households were dissatisfied with how complaints were handled.
- And it's their response to the hordes of complaints that makes this ordeal even worse.
- Some of the worst complaints that I received were about what was happening inside the interrogation rooms.
- She refused to say whether she has received complaints that firms are feasting at the city trough.
- The consumer watchdog received written complaints against 120 different airlines last year.
- Residents-only parking in Witham is to be reviewed after complaints that the scheme is being abused.
- At the time, TVB countered by saying that it was those complaints that were unhealthy.
- I have some sympathy with his complaint.
- They hauled the application back before them after complaints that the colour scheme had made the ride too imposing.
- Council officials said there had also been complaints that bird seed might attract rats.
- This followed complaints that drivers were flouting the one-way system because they could not see the sign until it was too late.
- We have had only one complaint about the letter, and that was not from a church member but from a relative.
- The latter system has been dogged by complaints that it can too easily be abused by people intent on fraud.
2(ailment)dolencia feminine formalafección feminine formal
- The unit is primarily for the treatment of patients with a medical complaint or complication and are clinically deemed ‘low risk’.
- He had been ill for some months and had various lung complaints and breathing difficulties.
- Back pain is a complaint often associated with the squat exercise.
- I was a remarkably regular attender at my doctor's surgery for a variety of minor complaints.
- Some people suffer from specific back complaints that will always require complete rest.
- Common gastrointestinal complaints such as gastroenteritis, gastritis, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea may occur in recovering patients.
- Why didn't you go to the VA with a medical complaint?
- Headache is the most common somatic complaint in children.
- Iwan said that his uncle had a number of medical complaints such as hepatitis and diabetes.
- They should never be allowed to talk about their medical complaints in public with decent people around.
- Neck manipulation is often performed for minor complaints, yet carries a risk of major handicap.
- A 43-year-old man was admitted with a chief complaint of seizures, fever, and possible aspiration pneumonia.
- Many diseases or medical conditions have vertigo as an associated complaint, Gantz notes.
- However, as time has gone by, I am more convinced than ever that infertility should be treated as a medical complaint, just as any other condition.
- Perhaps the rain prevented other activities, but it seemed as if everyone in the homeless shelter had some medical complaint.
- The doctor diagnosed the complaint as a cardiac problem and prescribed heart medicine.
- Minerva has long believed that stress can trigger skin complaints, although some dermatologists disagree.
- It is the presenting complaint in many conditions.
- Credited for sorting out a vast array of mild complaints, these yellow tablets are a godsend.
- They also use it to treat arthritis, gastrointestinal complaints and parasitic infections.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.