In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
intransitive verbcomplied, complies, complying
1to comply (with sth)
- to comply with a request — acceder a una solicitud
- to comply with an order — cumplir / obedecer / acatar una orden
- to comply with sb's instructions — seguir las instrucciones de algn
- to comply with the law — acatar la ley
- all machinery must comply with safety regulations — toda la maquinaria debe cumplir con / llenar los requisitos de seguridad
- she refused to comply — se negó a acatar la orden (or a acceder a su deseo etc.)
- The men claim they were not obliged to comply with requests that had not been lawfully issued following a board meeting.
- One theory is that she may have refused to comply with his wishes, adding to his frustration.
- Her family visited their cousin only in the winters, and complying with her wishes, I did not dare to follow her once she had left.
- High risk clients were likely to attend the clinic on impulse but were unlikely to comply with a request for a repeat test.
- The university has since claimed that it is unable to comply with the government request.
- He also pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a notice requesting the removal of the waste within the specified time.
- Passengers that refuse to comply with a request to disembark could face action from the airline.
- Each group must argue their case and each must try to persuade the other to comply with its wishes.
- Why would people comply with requests made to them, when they can say they will not give evidence?
- Half an hour later I managed to force my eyes open to comply with his request.
- The first to comply with their request will be awarded one of the numerous attractive spot prizes.
- The staff were clear that they were not going to comply with his request.
- Some of the reporters thought this was odd, and they didn't want to comply with his request.
- If you are unable to comply with the notice by the above date then you should inform me of the reasons in writing as soon as possible.
- I will take your failure to comply with this reasonable request as a refusal.
- I am a firm believer that relatives should try to comply with the wishes of their loved ones.
- They are expected to be obedient and comply with requests from adults immediately.
- The government did not comply with the protestors' wishes in either case.
- All they need do to escape it is to comply with and respect the law by reducing their speed.
- Please provide us with your prompt written assurance that you will comply with this request.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.