In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now he is much more collected and composed than he had been before.
- ‘We blew it,’ raged the normally calm and composed British boss.
- The guy had returned to his calm and composed state.
- He had a calm, composed exterior, but inside, Kimberly knew that he was in anguish.
- Stockdale held his head in horror afterwards but, revealingly, went on to produce the kind of composed and focused performance that has typified his impressive ten-match stint in the first team.
- It seemed he couldn't find the person he was searching for because his expression fell and was replaced by a cold, composed look.
- Alex took a deep breath and faced the teacher with a composed expression.
- Consistent practice of this kind of imagery/simulation will help you stay calm, composed and strong through those tough spots.
- ‘Yes, I understand that,’ he nodded, turning to face her again, his face composed and businesslike.
- I am also a composed person and do not especially like risk - I prefer reliability to anything else.
- The composed and rational side of their personality vanishes and is replaced by rage, aggression or whining.
- But instead, she remained silent, calm, composed and unaffected.
- Sol glanced around with composed indifference.
- The voice was cold and hostile, asking the question in a composed yet commanding way.
- Madeleine attempted no response at first, but the composed expression on her face was unwavering.
- For a quiet, level-headed lad, who is usually so composed and unflappable on the pitch, the prospect is one that exhilarates.
- She came as they always seemed to do, lovely and composed and unconcerned by the people who thronged about her stallion.
- Perhaps what was most impressive was how such a young side remained so composed and confident throughout.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.