In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To serve, place a dollop of compote in the middle of each plate.
- And they were just perfect with the rhubarb and raspberry compote.
- We liked the avocado and banana compote, the avocado adding an interesting twist to the other more ‘obvious’ flavors (banana, hazelnut and chocolate).
- I rarely cook a cherry, though this year I made a compote by cooking the fruit, stone in, with a modicum of sugar until they bled deep red juice.
- Serve it with a simple autumnal fruit compote spread into the soufflé itself.
- The best of this not very inspiring group is the fruit compote, a warm stew of raisins and cherries, topped with tangy cheesecake ice cream.
- A few spoonfuls of this warm and soft compote, served in a glass and topped with a little dollop of crème fraîche, was unanimously described as a crustless tarte tatin - just what we needed.
- I decided to go for simplicity, and made compote, in the oven, pairing the rhubarb with some raspberries I had in the freezer.
- Spoon a portion of plum compote onto the front of the plate and drizzle with syrup.
- But the crowd-pleaser is lusciously roasted baby loin of pork, accompanied not only by sauerkraut and apple compote but by smoked sausage and two spare ribs.
- Spoon some blueberry compote in the center of a plate and set a large quenelle of lemon foam on top.
- As they cook, the banana and pear slices fall into each other's arms, melding together in a luscious soft compote, while keeping their textural identities.
- Place one tablespoon cherry compote on top of each goat cheese circle.
- It was a lovely big breakfast - bacon, eggs, pancakes, fruit compote.
- This one was served in a small shot glass: a layer of quince compote and a layer of lemon jelly, topped with quince syrup.
- Set two heaping spoonfuls of pastry cream and a spoonful of dried fig compote on top.
- Spoon some huckleberry compote on top and garnish with lemon zest.
- An almost candified fruit compote overwhelms a handsomely prepared pork loin, but keen balancing of a pale, licorice-scented fennel crust against an earthy port glaze complements roast salmon.
- In each of four shallow ramekins, spoon a fourth of the pear compote.
- The cake was extremely dense and moist, and yet refreshing thanks to kumquats, with which I also made compote and served with the cake.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.