In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2(word)palabra compuesta feminine
3(mixture)mezcla femininecompound feed — pienso compuesto
1(eye/number/leaf/word) compuestocompound substance — compuesto
- This energy is used to produce new organic compounds form carbon dioxide, and thus enables bacteria to grow and divide in the absence of light.
- Nitrogenous compounds have become a major global pollutant in freshwater and estuarine ecosystems.
- Also, the burning of methane turns the carbon in it into a compound (carbon dioxide) that is far less potent as a greenhouse gas.
- Substitution reactions of organic compounds can also involve free radicals.
- Diesel particulate matter consists of soot mixed with anything from volatile organic compounds to sulphur and nitrous oxides.
- For this he designed and produced an aromatic chemical compound.
- The empirical formula of a compound is that which is obtained through laboratory research.
- Chemistry is the study of elements and compounds and interactions between substances.
- Organic compounds and other covalently bonded molecules do not dissolve well in water.
- Chemical forces are forces caused by other compounds or molecules that act on substances.
- Dr. Miller says a compound called nitric oxide is known to play a role in the dilation of the endothelium.
- When they do so, they form ionic compounds.
- The layers of plants and animals slowly broke down into simple substances called hydrocarbons, compounds of hydrogen and carbon.
- These substances are compounds because the molecules that make it up have two kinds of atoms.
- Exhaust gases include harmful volatile organic compounds or hydrocarbons, chemicals such as nitrogen oxide and carbon monoxide.
- When a halogen combines with another element, the resulting compound is called a halide.
- Chemists most often use distillation to separate and purify compounds in a mixture.
- Metals usually make positive ions when the compounds are dissolved in solution.
- But so far only 120 plant derived chemical compounds have been developed into modern drugs.
- Once the active chemical compound has been identified, its molecular structure must be determined.
- Terms like megastore or hypertext are also called compounds, because they are combinations of free-standing words with prefixes or suffixes.
- When two words are joined together, the resultant compound cannot be interpreted on the basis of the separate, individual components.
- We also included some compounds with self-, like the ubiquitous self-identify, which has a number of uses.
- American English has the general term car for railway vehicles, which British English only uses in compounds, such as restaurant car or sleeping car.
- Names for body parts such as ai ‘eye’ and maus ‘mouth’ are used as metaphors in many pidgins and Creoles, and occur quite often in compounds.
- The Oxford English Dictionary lists 125 compounds of the word ‘snow’ alone!
- They really are all around us, these compounds that are six nouns deep or more.
- In New Zealand the word Maori was productive in forming compounds: Maori axe, Maori welcome, Maori scone, Maori council, and so on.
- You could compare this to an English compound like ‘chair lift’.
- Lexicalisation doesn't have to involve making up a new word, it could be a compound, or an existing word could be broadened.
- The name is a compound of two words meaning The Vine of Death or The Vine of the Spirits.
- The orthography was developed by Nance from the surviving texts, and vocabulary is extended by analogizing from Breton and Welsh and forming compounds from existing words.
- Compounds of conditionals are a hard problem for everyone.
- Here's a brief listing of some of the many compounds starting in cyber.
- The first case concerns the use of a noun as a modifier in a compound.
- They can be used as components of compounds, but if they are used on their own they must be used with possessive prefixes.
- It's not the dictionary term I may or may not vaguely remember, which was not a German compound.
- It's certainly not a compound, and I can't imagine what two meanings might be evoked by this word in order to produce the intended effect.
- A brick's color can be attributed to its clay composition, any added compounds, its firing temperature and any surface treatments.
- These two fears compose a powerful compound - sufficient to prop up governments everywhere on earth for several millennia.
- Now the sophistication of the device has authorities pretty rattled, especially as a unique mixture of explosive compounds was involved.
- Quick-setting cement compounds are a mixture of cement, sand and other ingredients, and are designed to mix with water.
- Also, the relative amounts of the different compounds of the mixture tend to be more even, which is reflected in lower dominance values.
- The two sets of compounds are separated by partitioning a mixture between phosphate buffer and ether.
- He prepared mixtures of many compounds, which he used to paint his posters.
- Pyrolized Mobil jet oil showed the greatest complex pattern, with overlapping peaks indicating poor separation of compounds.
- Simply stated an object composed of many compounds can have one frequency.
- In the last 100 years, humans have introduced hundreds of new, synthetic compounds into the environment.
- It is easier to identify a specific target with newer sensitizers, as these tend to be a pure compound rather than a mixture.
- Improvements were made over the years to the syntheses of all these compounds, but I'm not going to go into the details.
- Very often farmers will have to choose between a blend or a true compound.
- A small sample of the compound (or a mixture of compounds) is placed in a strong magnetic field.
- There is a particular smell, a compound, I think, of floor polish and burnt egg, which I shall forever associate with boarding school.
- If the different compounds of a mixture act synergistically, greater toxicity or deterrence may result.
- Many of these are natural and found in food at doses millions of times greater than those to which we are exposed by synthetic compounds.
- During these processes, the energy from these compounds can be released for use by the body or stored in body tissues, especially the liver, muscles, and body fat.
- An enormous number of naturally occurring and synthetic compounds are known to be photosensitizers commonly used in photobiological studies.
- The most popular gallery was the one dedicated to works in chocolate, spices, birdseed and so on, the smell a compound of the enticing and the fetid.
- The temple compound is an example of a traditional temple.
- If the elites continue to ignore the hard realities faced by a growing majority of us, they'll need to build mighty high fences around their own compounds.
- These four temples have a meditation hall and a major monks' training center within the same compound.
- Once within your compound's adobe walls you never really need to re-emerge.
- The arrangement of space is quite unique in that the longtang houses are built on a street but are divided into sub-lanes within the compound.
- The 11 men, 15 women and three children entered the school premises through a hole cut in a wire fence surrounding the school compound.
- The enclosures were located within a compound covered with plastic mesh to exclude large predators.
- Sensitive areas within compounds have also been given extra protection while electronic scanning of staff, visitors and vehicles entering sites has been stepped up.
- Classes of school children assembled in front of the embassy and attached telegrams of condolence to the fence that surrounds the compound.
- Both diamond and gold mines housed black workers in single-sex compounds, issuing contracts of limited duration.
- American diplomatic staff took refuge in a safe area within the compound.
- People are free to meditate anywhere within the compound.
- The villages are rather compact, consisting of groups of compounds enclosed by millet-stalk fences.
- In the 1910s and 1920s, most of the 200,000 African men employed in gold-mining lived in vast single-sex compounds.
- Within an enclosed compound, you discover a pristine, high-ceilinged exhibition space that occupies a renovated factory building.
- Low coral walls fence their homes but please ask permission before photographing families at home within these compounds.
- At present an average 220 monks and novices live within the temple compound.
- The 29 broke into the school premises Wednesday through a hole cut in a wire fence surrounding the compound.
- Within seconds the compound was swarming with scientists, examining every room in the place.
- The bomb was believed to have been planted in a minibus parked outside the walled embassy compound and detonated remotely.
- The display also contrasts the living conditions in a mine compound with a mine manager or randlord's house.
- Within the compound, the officials were able to protect some of the rare trees and other plant species.
- Whoever had been seeking refuge within the compound's razor-wire-topped walls had been forced to leave in a hurry.
- The NUM is claiming more housing allowance for workers who don't live at the mine compound and better living conditions for those that do.
- This position enables him to work as the only handyman in the compound.
1(make worse)(problem) agravar(problem) exacerbar(risk/difficulties) acrecentar(difficulties/risk) aumentar(delay) alargar
2literary(combine)to be compounded with sth — ir acompañado de algo
3(compose, mix)combinar(to be) compounded of sth — (estar) compuesto de algo
4(settle by agreement)(debt) ajustar
mediante un convenio con los acreedores
1masculine complejo habitacionalbarracones
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.