In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1comprimir(text) condensarto compress sth into sth
- it is compressed into solid blocks — se comprime hasta formar bloques compactos
- he compressed the speech into a short article — escribió un breve artículo en el que se condensaba el discurso
- Often, large files are compressed to reduce downloading time.
- Without a second thought, you'd probably compress the file and send it off.
- The files are automatically compressed so they're small enough to send via email.
- They can be compressed into nine critical questions.
- Music compressed using MP3 or equivalent formats requires 1Mb per minute.
- When data is compressed automatically, all filing characteristics remain exactly the same.
1compresa femininehot/cold compress — compresa caliente/fría
- He went to place the compress on her head again and she evaded him.
- Relieve pain with cool, wet compresses until the corpsman arrives.
- I am plagued with boils and have tried hot compresses to no avail.
- She continued to place the cool compress on his forehead and dab at his reddened cheeks.
- However, there are certain situations in which the ginger compress should not be used.
- Talk about the magical moments and apply a cold compress to the burns.
- Pamela was there exchanging cool compresses on his forehead.
- Follow with a warm sea salt compress to remove crusting and clean out any infection.
- I took some paracetamol, and did cold compresses, and was just generally in a very bad mood.
- To relieve a tension headache, apply a cold compress to the back of your neck.
- You can use hot compresses during your bath session.
- So now I've got a cold compress on it, fresh from the freezer.
- Gently massage the affected joints in the morning after applying warm compresses to the area.
- A ginger compress is safe for most people and in many situations.
- Before I knew it, I had worked myself up into a frothing, barking frenzy and had to lay down and put a cold compress on my head.
- She pressed the cold compress to the spot where she hit her head.
- Symptoms increased with warmth and were relieved partially with cold compresses.
- If stung by a fire ant, the first recommended step is to apply a cold compress to relieve the swelling and pain.
- Many cold compresses, an elevated leg and all manner of other cures have been to no avail.
- Take them out of the microwave and apply these steamy compresses to your aching body.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.