In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(compelling)the book is compulsive reading — es uno de esos libros que se empiezan y no se pueden dejar
- the film is compulsive viewing — es una película que no hay que perderse
2(obsessive)(behavior) compulsivoshe has bouts of compulsive spending — tiene temporadas de gastar y gastar sin freno
- he's a compulsive eater/liar — come/miente por compulsión
- As you learn to modify your compulsive behaviour, your anxiety levels should lessen.
- What is distinctive about such compulsive behaviour, I would argue, is that the desires and emotions in question are more or less radically independent of the evaluational systems of these agents.
- As treatment progresses, most patients gradually experience less anxiety from the obsessive thoughts and are able to resist the compulsive urges.
- The child may develop school phobias, compulsive eating or psychosomatic illnesses.
- Marijuana is addictive because it causes compulsive, uncontrollable drug craving, seeking and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences.
- It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.
- Many had kept secret their compulsive eating binges or their ‘purging’ behaviors for years.
- Surveillance - a new and ominous term - became compulsive and almost second nature, even when its use was self-defeating.
- Those addicted to drugs suffer from a compulsive drug craving and usage and cannot quit by themselves.
- I also struggle with compulsive behaviours from time to time.
- Most people with OCD struggle to banish their unwanted thoughts and compulsive behaviors.
- By all indications the episodic behavior could become more compulsive and frequent.
- If not detected and treated early, compulsive gambling might lead to estrangement from family and friends as well as financial and legal difficulties.
- Some individuals with bulimia struggle with addictions, including abuse of drugs and alcohol, and compulsive stealing.
- A child's ability to play is limited by these compulsive behaviors.
- Difficult to define exactly, it has become popular to think of almost any behavior that has a compulsive quality as an ‘addiction.’
- For example, multiple addictions have been found among more than half of adolescents who have a compulsive behaviour problem.
- Most people with OCD struggle to banish their unwanted, obsessive thoughts and to prevent themselves from engaging in compulsive behaviors.
- Well, compulsive behaviour has been, for decades now, easier to treat psychologically than obsessions.
- But motivation coming from a negative source relentlessly generates anxiety and stress, creating compulsive perfectionism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.