In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When she first meets people Penny is conceited and haughty.
- Not to be vain or conceited, but it was the truth and anyone sensible would agree.
- He is not alone in saying that some American lawyers and accountants are conceited and arrogant about what they think is a superior system.
- We don't get conceited enough to say ‘we don't need to follow our policies today’.
- It's essential for you not to let yourself appear arrogant and conceited because of this.
- For we now have a conceited Government which in its monumental arrogance can brook no opposition.
- The genuine superstars, he says, tend to be the least conceited.
- Then, typically, she worries that this sounds arrogant or conceited.
- I know that might sound pretty arrogant and conceited but it's true, it's really true.
- She knew nothing about him… yet she had the guts to even describe him as an arrogant conceited brat.
- It is neither affected nor conceited to care about the impression you make.
- But to be honest, they all look the same to me, conceited and morose.
- It has come to signify a group of intolerable, conceited, ruthless snobs.
- That said, it can be frustrating working with conceited, egotistical players.
- You have a considerable amount of self-confidence, and you like yourself without being conceited or boastful.
- At the centre of the story is the feisty Elizabeth and the conceited Darcy, who initially cannot stand each other but reluctantly fall in love.
- From the look on their faces, they were probably arrogant, conceited punks who thought they could get any girl they wanted.
- People looked on that as being conceited or being big - headed.
- I was naive and conceited enough to believe that posting entries into this page would actually achieve something.
- Charles was arrogant, conceited and a strong believer in the divine rights of kings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.