In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Its energetic program of 33 exhibitions per year, including the annual show of the Chalupecky Prize winner, focuses on minimalism, conceptualism and emerging artists.
- But LaBute is also concerned with the conflict between art and morality and the grandstanding exhibitionism of contemporary conceptualism.
- And for me this sums up the importance of James' brand of conceptualism: the artist and the work as facilitator towards developing a conceptual interrogation and response within the viewers themselves.
- That all of these levels were explicable within the work itself says volumes about the vitality of conceptualism in the 70s and 80s - it had not yet a reached a nadir of mannerist gestures.
- Since the late '70s, Adrian Piper's art practice has deliberately melded the forms of '60s conceptualism and minimalism with identity based subject matter.
- I find that the socialist conceptualism of the '70s and the soc-pop art phenomenon are so amazing - very strange and original.
- Most younger artists working now have rejected the polished surfaces of Post Modernism in favour of an eclectic mixture of conceptualism and craft.
- For us, the real attraction of the works is the absence around the images, the white grounds that give the works a sense of detached scientific observation that's also evocative of a cool modernist conceptualism.
- Thus he was particularly devoted to figurative painting, championing it at a time when conceptualism and ‘art theory’ kept all painting on the defensive.
- One consequence of this conceptualism was the loss of a feeling for complexity in art - the richness of specification of traditional mimesis and the intriguing formal relationships of modernist art were often abandoned.
- By 1971 conceptualism had emerged in Sudan especially through the work of Muhammad Shaddad, co-founder of the Crystalist Group in Khartoum, who also co-authored the group's manifesto.
- Using the self-effacing formal devices associated with conceptualism and minimalism, Piper interrogates the subjective effacement of the racial stereotype.
- Body art, conceptualism, activism, and spectacle have linked with elaborate digital, reproductive, and imaging techniques to offer a promise of creativity that highlights issues related to technology.
- If any creative or critical strategy establishes a firm link between contemporary and classical African art, that strategy is conceptualism: both emphasize the pre-eminence of idea over form.
- In conceptualism, these biographical narratives, tightly connected to both the text and image components, became an explicit part of the work's content.
- See, our mums and dads worked with the legacy of minimalism and conceptualism, their hold on the ‘presentness’ of the work, we are, by distinction, children of ‘the moment’.
- What is probably the very first monograph ever devoted to Auriol deals with his conceptualism.
- These artists overcome conceptualism in the same way that the image overcomes aestheticism, or that ‘anthropology’ overcomes ‘theory.’
- She embarked upon her three-decades-long career in the medium as a pioneer of conceptualism, and then went through a period of more classically themed work comprising landscape, cityscape, portraiture and still life.
- Most American designers are either obsessed with objective space or suffer from just trying to make things look cool - but here there is evidence of honesty, conceptualism and philosophy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.