In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1objetor de conciencia masculineobjetora de conciencia feminine
- In that period, there was huge public hostility to the conchies (conscientious objectors), who had refused to fight.
- That the "conchies" suffered ridicule and injustice cannot be denied.
- Any book about conchies is likely to contain some diverting tales.
- A few years ago, the historian Andrew Roberts earned my undying contempt by alleging, on live national radio, that I was the ‘kind of person who'd have been a conchie’ in the Second World War.
- "Conchies" already employed by the government have been denied promotion.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.